Monday, September 12, 2011

Drink, Eat and Be Sunny

This past weekend was totally hectic and totally fun.  I worked, I drank, I ate, and I chillaxed.  Pretty much in that order.

IMG_0369

On Friday afternoon I headed on down to the first day of The Great Canadian Beer Festival to work my volunteer shift.  I volunteer because a) it’s super fun …and… b) you get into the festival for free.  :)

For the second year in a row I was a Booth Steward…which is a fancy term for ‘token taker’.  I spent my afternoon and early evening hanging out with the super nice folks in the Saltspring Island Ales booth.  We went full tilt with a busy line up of thirsty beer lovers for just over 5 hours in the hot, hot sun. 

My body was aching and my tummy was rumbling but I had a total blast.

Beerfest_collage

Saturday morning I made my way back to the park.  This time to meet friends and stuff my pockets full of my own tokens to be cashing in for beers from around the country and beyond.  After multiple samples I walked away with two favourites of the day:

1) Heatherdale Ale from SaltSpring:  (slight advantage because I already know I quite adore this beer!)  It’s a light tasting, golden beer with hints of honey…made with Heather flowers instead of hops.  Love.

2) Talking Dog Wit from Shuswap Brewing:  (I originally went here because they had a short line but ended up going back again, then went back and bought their totally cute t-shirt too.)  This beer was really refreshing and light, with a really lovely hit of orange and coriander.  Yum.

The weather was totally amazing and sooooo hot.  Who says Victoria doesn’t get Summer?  I’m here to tell you ours has been pretty phenomenal this year….it’s just later around here!

IMG_0382

After escaping the glorious sun and heat of the park and spending a few hours just chatting and relaxing with friends, a few of us made our way to Siam for a much needed delicious Thai food dinner.

IMG_0383

Mee Krob to start, and Red Chicken Curry with rice for my meal.  I took half home (nothing like strolling the streets with curry in your purse) and anticipated the leftovers for two days.

Come Sunday I could barely move after being on my feet for two days straight.  All I wanted to do was absorb more sunscreen, sit out on the deck, and have someone serve me.  So that’s pretty much what I did.

BBQ_collage

After running a few errands and letting the dogs burn off some energy, Michael and I hung out with his brother and sisters enjoying our Sunday and eating some easy barbeque.  Ribs, chicken, pasta salad, potato salad, squishy garlic loaf, and fresh tomatoes mixed with sweet onion and bocconcini cheese.

IMG_0390IMG_0391

And nothing beats the heat more than vanilla frozen yogurt with a Twix stuffed in it.  Even when SOMEONE steals your Twix when you are busy smooching your boyfriend.  Clearly the siblings have accepted me since the pranks are aimed in my direction now.  I’m not sure how I feel about this.  ;)

Overall a lovely weekend.  Of course, probably not as lovely as next weekend…since next weekend Tiffaney and I shall be in GREECE!!!

Pin It

2 comments:

rusty61 said...

Great weekend update! Sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I love these late summer weekends! (And I cannot wait to hear all about Greece!) xo