Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Simple Stuffed Peppers

IMG_1147

Fresh raspberries > jam any day. :)

IMG_1143

Yesterday’s morning coffee courtesy of Tiffaney.  That girl cannot let me do her a favour without buying me a gift card.  Seriously woman! 

IMG_1144

Speaking of gifts…  Chibi is spoiled by her Auntie Jamie.  Fancypants bison & quinoa doggie treats.

IMG_1163

More raspberries making themselves at home in the big silver bowl.  Simple mix today with just the berries, spinach, pecans and fresh mint from my patio planter.  Drizzled with canola and lemon juice.

IMG_1176IMG_1177

Busting out a new-to-me TJ’s treat care of Alecia.  20 cals per serving!  Oh yes.

IMG_1164IMG_1167

Snackeroo…

IMG_1178

Highlight of the day was for sure my dinner experiment.  Being that I thought I hated peppers for the majority of my life I’ve never attempted making stuffed peppers before.  But now that I’ve done it I can’t believe I waited so long.

IMG_1197

In an attempt to not buy groceries unless absolutely necessary I’ve been taking inventory of what I have on hand.  Fresh peppers and Sooke sausage caught my attention first…as did a box of couscous.

IMG_1184IMG_1183

Since the couscous is seasoned the recipe came together very easily.

Ingredients:

  • 1 box couscous, cooked as directed
  • 1 large fresh pork sausage, removed from casing, crumbled
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup tomato, diced
  • fresh basil
  • fresh parsley
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 bell peppers, caps cut off, interiors cleaned

(If I were using a non-seasoned couscous I would add fresh garlic, more herbs, and maybe salt if needed.)

IMG_1187

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cover the bottom of a small baking pan with water, place both cleaned peppers in pan (caps on), cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes.  This will help speed up the final product.
  • While the peppers pre-cook, prepare your filling.  Drizzle olive oil into a skillet over med-high heat, add onions and cook 2-3 minutes.  Add sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with spatula as it cooks.
  • Remove from heat and stir in (still warm) couscous, tomatoes and herbs.  Taste, then season with pepper as necessary.

IMG_1188

  • Remove pre-cooked peppers from oven, drain water and pat dry.  Dry the pan and spray with cooking spray.  Fill each pepper with as much filling as you can (I actually had enough for three peppers), place them baking in the pan, put tops on, then return to the oven.  Bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes.

IMG_1192IMG_1194

I served my stuffed pepper a la carte but this would be good served next to grilled or roasted veggies, or a side salad.  It turned out really good, was super easy to make thanks to the seasoned couscous and amazing sausage.  The combinations are pretty much endless…so let me know if you have a favourite combo I should try!

After dinner the other Jamie and I went for coffee then I came home to chill out with Miss Chibi for a bit.  My sweet tooth got the better of me, but thankfully was the end of the Ikea crack candy and it will no longer be a temptation!

IMG_1181

Can’t be snacking on crack while trying to get ready for Greece!! :)

Pin It

No comments: