Saturday, May 29, 2010

Burrito in the Sun

I made no plans this weekend.  None.  It is glorious.

I have five simple things on my to-do list which need to be done in no particular order, nor in any rush.  Love it.

Item number one was to hit up the Halifax Farmer's Market again...

IMG_6072

But I slept in.  And it was wrapping up when I got there.  Oh well.

So I got an iced coffee and hauled out James Dean for a little quality time on the town.  I planned ahead and wore sunscreen, comfy shoes, and a t-shirt that wouldn't leave me with stupid tan lines if I did in fact get too much sun.

IMG_6023  IMG_6029

First stop was to have a little sit-down in the park with Cornwallis.  He founded Halifax you know!

IMG_6031 IMG_6026

I was also intrigued by this odd Ukrainian statue in the same park. 

IMG_6037

Looks a little headless, no?

But the details were phenomenal.

IMG_6041 IMG_6042

'The two draped flags, of 1891 and 1991, represent the marriage of the past and present in their new country Canada.

The bread and salt placed on an embroidered towel is a traditional Ukrainian welcome representing life and the new life Canada had to offer.'

Since I had only eaten a Super-Charge Moi! cookie for breakfast I was getting hungry while I wandered around, so I sent Scott a text to find out where this burrito joint he goes on and on about was.  I've been dying to try it and today seemed like a good day!

Burrito Jax on Blowers Street.

IMG_6082

On my way there I passed this house that I originally learned about on Brad's photo blog

IMG_6054 IMG_6059

The story of the Morris building can be found here.  This was constructed in the 1760s as the office building of the first Chief Surveyor of Nova Scotia, Charles Morris.  During a recent development project Nova Scotia Power agreed to help preserve the building...the process is currently underway.

IMG_6061

I found the burrito place easily.  Both of the girls working were in great spirits and happy to explain the process to me. 

I opted for the small size on a whole wheat tortilla.  Based on Scott's recommendation I went with the Jax Chicken as my protein of choice (shredded chicken seasoned with Mexican spices).  Then they walk you down the line of ingredients to chose as you wish.  I "think" I had smashed beans (like refried), black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, cheese, Pico Jax (mild & fresh salsa) and burrito sauce (sour cream with lime, garlic & herbs).  They then fold it up and cook it through while you wait.

I took my wicked smelling burrito and cold bottle of water to-go.  Walked down to the waterfront and found a bench and patch of grass.  How's this for a lunchtime view?

IMG_6090IMG_6085IMG_6097IMG_6098

The burrito lived up to the hype!  Super yummy and not ridiculously filling.  I think next time I might try the sweet potato and/or guacamole and definitely try one of their spicier salsas or sauces (I went mild to start because I'm a bit of a wuss).

I enjoyed it!

IMG_6094  

Thanks to ordering the small size I had room for a scoop of ice cream...

IMG_6105 IMG_6106

More walking around in the sun snapping photos...

IMG_6065 IMG_6068IMG_6064 IMG_6071  

Worked my way back to my car and then went off to enjoy the air conditioning of the grocery store before coming home to tackle the dandelion garden that is my lawn.  Quite the workout pushing that mower around!

Tonight involves painting my toenails and enjoying some quiet time.  Tomorrow there are some chores that I should probably tackle....maybe.

:)

Pin It

4 comments:

Angela Power said...

Aw it truly sounds like you had a wonderful day just perusing downtown and enjoying the beautiful day in Hali! I could even tell by your tweets that you were in a great mood :-)

Becca said...

Aw, it looks like you had a fab sunny day - any tan lines?

The food looks yummy, wish I had myself some yum-O Mexican food.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures really make me want to visit Halifax! It just looks so clean and pretty and historic.

And now I also kinda want a burrito.

Kim said...

Wow! That sounds like a glorious day! I always love your pics. You and James Dean are a dynamic duo!