Friday, May 28, 2010

Super-Charge Moi!

I love to bake.  Generally you will find at least one-five homemade baked goods per month on my blog, but with the whirlwind that life has been lately I haven't been baking at all.  Especially odd because baking is my go-to task when I'm upset, stressed out, or sad...all of which I have been over the last few months.  But I've also been insanely busy!

After finding some time to actually surf a few blogs I haven't had the chance to read in months, the urge to bake finally hit me.  And I knew exactly what I wanted to make.  Super-Charge Me! Cookies by Dreena Burton from her book "Eat, Drink & be Vegan".

IMG_6013

These super-powered healthified cookies are crazy popular around blogland but I thought I'd never find the recipe because usually folks are pretty good about not doling out copyrighted info...but low and behold Dreena actually has a couple of her own blogs and she posted the recipe herself!

The nice thing about this recipe is that it is pretty forgiving and can be easily modified.  I made a few changes based on what I had on hand and what I felt like eating but pretty much followed the directions exactly.

IMG_6004

My take on the ingredients...

  • 1 cup whole oats
  • 2/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/8 cup dried cranberries
  • 4 dried apricots, chopped
  • 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup flax meal
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
  • 3 tbsp smooth almond butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (it's all I had on hand!)

IMG_5999

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
  2. In a bowl, combine oats, flour, salt, cinnamon, coconut, dried fruit, and chocolate chips. Sift in baking powder and stir until well combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine flax meal, syrups, almond butter, and vanilla and stir until well combined. Stir in oil.
  4. Add wet mixture to dry and stir until just well combined (do not over mix).
  5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon batter onto baking sheet evenly spaced apart and lightly flatten. (Makes 12 large cookies).
  6. Bake for 13 minutes (no longer, or they will dry out). Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute (no longer), then transfer to a cooling rack.

Enjoy!

IMG_6007

I am very pleased!  These are a very good size cookie.  Hearty yet chewy and very tasty!  Be careful because they are calorie dense...but they are made with completely REAL ingredients so don't feel too guilty about a splurge on one of these little wonders.

Original recipe © copyright Dreena Burton (eat, drink & be vegan)

Pin It

5 comments:

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

Hi Jaime

Those cookies look good!

You mentioned that baking is your go-to when you're stressed...my question is: Do you bake for the sake of baking, or bake for the sake of eating? :)

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmm! yum!

Kim said...

Ugh! That looks SO amazing!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I was going to make cosmic cookies for the Relay but I think I'll try those instead. YUM!

JavaChick said...

I'm not normally a fan of "healthy" cookie recipes, but I've made the Super Charge Me cookies a couple of times and they are really good. Glad you tracked down the recipe!