Monday, March 29, 2010

Simplicity

Last night I wrote some simple goals for the week

IMG_3732

Then wrote one more for first thing this morning…

IMG_3733

Thankfully I also remembered to set the coffee maker last night so I was caffeinated enough to tackle the cleaning of my desk before starting my work day…

IMG_3735

This week’s fruit bowl is filled with a few different things.  Yesterday was the Ya pear…today a pink grapefruit

IMG_3737

I ate half and it was AMAZING!!  Especially when consumed alongside a dish of equally tangy Lemon Liberte topped with some yummy granola

 IMG_3738

And a slice of sourdough toast with Dark Chocolate Dreams and Superfruit Spread

IMG_3742

It was like a breakfast party platter! :)

In keeping with the theme of lower grocery bills and using things on hand, I rifled through the cupboards for today’s protein source…tuna.

IMG_3743 IMG_3744

Mixed simply with light mayo, grainy dijon and green relish.  Served on Light Rye Wasa Crackers…with pickles…and a side of particularly tasty baby carrots…

IMG_3746

Come dinner time I wanted to keep it light because Katie and I were heading to the gym for cardio and yoga tonight.  Sooooo… back to the tuna dish!

This time on half a toasted sesame bagel with light herby cream cheese

 IMG_3748

With a small dish of leftover steamed sweet potatoes…which I melted a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil on.  O.M.G.  Deeeelish.  I’m loving the diversity of the coconut oil!

IMG_3751

At the gym I went for a 20 minute run on the treadmill. Seems to be my go-to when I’m only doing cardio.  I feel like I need to burn the most calories possible if I’m only working out for 20 minutes…LOL…my brain needs to wrap around the fact that the hour long yoga class counts as a workout too!

Different instructor this week with a different style, but we still liked her.  Good stretch, good stretch, good heart pumping. :)

My after gym snack was a bowl of cereal and milk.  I wanted sugar, carbs and protein so I grabbed the Kashi Cinnamon Bites and checked out the milk containers to see which one had the biggest protein bang…

IMG_3754

Skim milk is clearly the winner with 9 grams of protein per cup…

 IMG_3757

vs Vanilla Soy (So Nice brand) at only 6 grams…

IMG_3759IMG_3760

and UVAB weighing in at only 1 measly gram.  Clearly I only use this because it’s considerably lower in calories and has a creamier consistency for making oats and smoothies.  (and apparently they think 1 cup is only 240mL???) 

Now it’s time for the Castle continuation.  “Did Beckett go BOOM?” I’m guessing not, but I still need to see for myself.  :)

A few mini peanut butter cups might help!

IMG_3764

Pin It

8 comments:

Julie, The Accidental Fat Chick said...

That all looks so yummy. I like how you're keeping things simple. :)

Alison Fay said...

I'm going through a pink grapefruit phase lately. Eat one almost every afternoon, such a nice change! Your steamed sweet potatoes look really YUMMY! I haven't tried my coconut oil out much, I think I need to experiment.

Unknown said...

The US cup measure for nutritional purposes is actually 240ml versus 250ml for Canada. In addition, the US cup measure used for cooking is a little bit less than 240ml. Quite odd!

Not sure why I know that, but there it is in my brain. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about the protein factor in various milks lately too. I always chose Almond Breeze b/c it's the lower calorie option but I'm wondering if I should get over that and have more milk in my diet. Thanks for the comparison.

Angela Power said...

As soon as I got pregnant and before I even knew I was pregnant, I immediately wanted real skim milk as opposed to UVAB. The only reason I was using UVAB is exactly why you said, because it was lower in calories. Nutritionally, it's got nothing on real milk and for a growing baby, nutrition is more important than ever, so I've got like 6 unopened almond breezes sitting around my house hoping they don't expire before I get to them again!

I Love Your Whole Face said...

I love the idea of tuna on wasa. I always use wheat thins and end up eating about 100 of them. That will be lunch today!!!

Anonymous said...

That photo of the pink grapefruit is gorgeous. I want to stare at it all morning. I've been trying to shop from my cabinets as much as possible too, it's amazing the surprises a shorty like me will find tucked away on the upper shelves. :)

Anonymous said...

Coffee is ALWAYS at the top of my to-do list. I love was crackers. Light rye is my favorite variety.