Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recipe: Basic Banana Bread

I find that I often get so caught up in making only “healthy” baked goods, that sometimes it’s nice to just follow a regular recipe the way it’s supposed to be.  No substitutions.  Just traditional recipes.

This Banana Bread recipe was given to me by a former co-worker’s wife and it turns out perfect and moist every time.

IMG_4761

Basic Banana Bread

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 4 tbsp butter (room temp)
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3-4 very ripe bananas (mashed)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup walnut or pecan pieces (lightly toasted) (optional)
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

IMG_4763

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • In a large bowl: cream butter.  Add sugar, beat together.  Add egg, beat. Add vanilla, beat.
  • In another bowl: Mix flour, soda, salt & baking powder.  Stir to combine. 
  • Add mashed bananas to wet mixture.  Fold together.  Add nuts and/or chocolate chips if desired.  Add flour mixture gradually, stirring to combine.
  • Pour batter into sprayed loaf pan.  (Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top, if using.)
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes.  Check for doneness at 40-45 minutes as some ovens cook faster than others. 
  • Let cool before removing from pan.  Slice and enjoy!

IMG_4764

Pin It

5 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

YUM!!!! I love banana bread! I could eat that whole loaf in one day-LOL!

Angela Power said...

Ya know, last weekend I had all these ripe bananas and I was torn between making "good old fashioned" banana bread and some other alternative kind. I ended up with another version that I didn't post up yet - need to be tweaked!

That looks sooo moist and YUM!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe, I have some bananas in the freeze that need to be used up.

K-Pow said...

I saved this recipe for a while and finally got to make it yesterday. So yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

Aldrin said...

Many thanks for your healthy reciepe . I am hungry to eat taste food at work 2 time ! So I have to go off without reading all I’d like. However I’ve added your blog to my RSS feed so that I can take my time to go via your web page Mesalamine..