Wednesday, March 04, 2009

So Worth It

So FH's uncle and his trucking buddies did come for dinner last night. It led to a bit of a foodfest on my part, but it was yummy and so totally worth it. It's been a long time since I've cooked for more than just me and FH...let alone four large men...so it was fun putting an easy meal together for all of us.

As mentioned, we planned steaks, Caesar salad, roasted potatoes. I added a storebough garlic bread and a pound of sauteed mushrooms to the menu. And potato chips to tide the boys over while everything was prepared. Unfortunately I think I might have eaten more chips than the boys did! I also bought myself one can of Strongbow cider cuz I didn't want to be left out while they all had beers with their steaks. I bought brownies too because I wasn't sure if I should offer dessert or not...in the end we didn't bother (except for the couple FH and I ate after everyone left...ooops) so I'm just freezing them for future use.

I bought NY Strip steaks. Each of which was huge by my standards. I ate about 1/3 of mine then packed it up for FH to snack on today. We cooked them up on the Griddler and I'll say again that it did a fantastic job. I was worried that cooking six big steaks on there would take away from the quality, but it worked like a hot damn. All the trucker boys were intrigued by the machine because the steaks turned out so well....and these boys know a good steak...and they all wanted to know where I got it because they could use them in their trucks. I'll bet at least one of them goes out and buys one today before they hit the road.

So all in all it was a bit of overindulgence on my part, especially considering I'd given myself the day off from the gym. But I'm going tonight and will sweat extra hard, plus I did do yoga yesterday and already today. I'm just being hard on myself because that was a fairly heavy dinner compared to my recent eating habits.

Today's menu:

- coffeeeeee w/ demerara & skim
- one brownie (doh, that's what I get for not freezing them last night!)
- oatmeal (**see below)
- grapes
- 1/2 banana pre-gym
- leftover Easy Chicken Pot Pie, steamed brocolli
- non-fat Activia yogurt

**Today's oatmeal:

- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 banana cooked in
- 2 tbsp homemade snack mix on top
- 1 tbsp toasted peanuts on top
- 1 serving PB2 stirred in at end Pin It

9 comments:

eurydice said...

did you calculate the nutritionals of your snack mix or are you just using teeny portions?

Marissa said...

Some meals are worth the splurge and this sounded like one of them!

Sarah said...

I LOVE steak.. and would have splurged too. You have to sometimes!!

Shirls said...

I'm sad I wasn't invited ;0) I too have a griddler (4 in 1 cusinart thing, right?) have to say I really miss my old Foreman grill though, for me it was just better, so much so I'm actually looking for a deal on a new foreman and I'll donate the griddler.. I know, I know, I'm weird.. never said I wasn't ;0P

Jaime said...

Ha, Shirls. Why do you miss George. I only had a tiny old school George with no temp control and I never liked how it cooked. I use my Griddler constantly for pressing sandwiches and now that we have discovered the open faced grill I use it even more. To each their own!

Jaime said...

Eury, I did not calculate the NI. I am lazy like that. haha. But I only intend to use this batch as an add in for oatmeal or salads or baking, so the portions are pretty small.

Lex said...

MMMM I love steak AND strongbow...mmmmmmmmm

tash said...

mmm . . .strongbow!

Angela Power said...

Wow that all sounds great! I bet one of them does go out and buy one! I'm impressed that the NY strips turned out on it because i was always weary of using the foreman for something like that!