Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Musical Fruit

DBF went to visit a dietician yesterday so I was pretty interested to hear what info he came home with. Of course, the info he has is tailored more to him but I still wanted to hear what she had to say. It is mostly what I expected....portion control, less dairy, more fruit, more fibre, more healthy fats (specificallly Omega-3), eat breakfast, etc. I'm going to try to read through the extensive pamphlet she gave him, so I can make sure to help him with the healthiest dinners, etc possible. I do pretty much all of the dinner cooking, so for the most part everything is quite healthy because that's my lifestyle...but I need to make sure I am incorporating her suggestions for him now. I am actually really looking forward to it! And I wish I could have gone with him to see her so I could pick her brain too. Oh well, I'll just learn by osmosis from him. :)

One of the things she specifically told him was to make friends with beans. This will be tough because he's not a bean fan at all. But she gave him a little booklet of recipes and recommended a few in it that she says most of her patients like, so I'll be giving them a go to see if we can get him liking them. Apparently white pea beans (aka Navy beans) are one of the most nutritious foods out there...lots fibre, protein, vitamins, etc.... We already knew beans were good for us, but apparently these ones are the best. This may mean that I can try out some of my recipes that include black beans or chick peas, etc and he might actually eat them now!

Another thing that she told him to try was to get soy protein into his diet. I'm not totally sure the reason for this, but I'm guessing it's because she wants him to limit his dairy intake (he drinks 4 litres of milk every 2-3 days, and now has to cut down to 3-4 glasses per week), plus because he'll be eating smaller meat portions and leaner meat portions, he needs to get his good protein from other sources. So we got him some vanilla Silk to make his new breakfast smoothies with (a good way for a non-lover of fruit to fit it into his menu)....I tasted it and wouldn't drink it as a milk replacement but would definitely use it for cereal and stuff like that.

And finally....she recommended flax meal for him...especially for the Omega-3 aspect...and conveniently I just bought some (I exchanged those seeds I bought and got the ground stuff)....so he put it in his smoothie and said it was fine. So I'll try stirring it into sauces and stuff for us too.

So we'll see how it goes....I'm excited for him to do this, although it will be a hard change for him. I won't be blogging a lot about it because it's his life, not mine, and if he wants the world to know about it then it's up to him. I'm not one to announce other people's lives on my blog...but I wanted to share the few interesting things I heard so far.

As for me, I had a dentist appointment this morning and my face is still slightly frozen so here it is 11:30 and I haven't eaten yet. I did manage to slurp back part of a latte, but I dribbled my last sip so now I'm waiting. (DBF, sweetheart that he is, stopped at Starbucks with some work buddies this morning and had himself a black coffee with sweetener...tough for him and his love of the Frap...and brought home lattes for me and Mom.)

I have lots of work to do...still catching up from being off last week, plus some boookkeeping issues that came up, and I'm off tomorrow....so hopefully I finish early enough to get some kind of workout in this evening. We didn't get our walk last night because it gets dark so early now...booooooo....so I really feel I need to do something today.

Today's eats...when I can finally shovel them in....

- SB triple grande vanilla latte (he forgot to say non-fat, but it was a nice gesture and I really needed coffee! 2% won't kill me.)
- Liberte Svelt vanilla yogurt with 1/2 banana
- Campbell's Italian Wedding soup, hummus & toast
- apple & natural PB
- dinner will be to try out these chicken and bean wrap thingies the dietician recommended, served with tossed salad
- grapes Pin It

11 comments:

Vanessa said...

Good luck to DBF! And good for him for going to an RD for his info.

Jen said...

That's some interesting stuff!! I don't get why he was told only 3-4 glasses of milk a WEEK though...I would think at least 1 a day would be okay...

I agree, good luck to DBF!!!

Jaime said...

Because he can only have one-two servings of dairy per day...so if he ever wants to eat cheese or yogurt he can't have milk all the time. (This is specific to his dietary concerns.)

WWSuzi said...

I'm doing the same thing!! Now hubby eats pretty healthy his main problem is with portion sizes and he like to eat less healthy snacks when i'm not around ;) So we are sitting down this week and i'll be leaving foods made up for him in advance for when i'm working!!

Marissa said...

So interesting what the RD had to say. Particularly about the beans...I know they are nutritional powerhouses but I guess I always forget about them.

Randi said...

I've managed to sneak beans into tons of stuff with nobody any wiser. Any time I make soup or stew or chili I add extra beans (good to know about the navy beans though). I even put them in my homemade salsa and spaghetti sauce.

If he likes smoothies for breakfast it's easy to get in tons of those recommendations in meal (flax seed, soy, if it's general fibre he needs you can add benefibre as well. Plus if you use raspberries they've got oodles or fibre in them)

Carolyn said...

I love it that Scott eats healthy with me. It's so fun to make meals together and I know he really appreciates all my new recipes!

I'd be very interested in any byummy bean recipes you come up with! I love beans!

Jaime said...

Oh Randi, you are lucky to sneak them in. DBF notices every time!

Alli said...

... makes your pants go tooty toot toot. Ok I so couldnt help myself.

eurydice said...

wow, he drinks a lot of milk. i would love to see a dietician... FUN!

Pheonix said...

have you tried making the ESBM "Yummus"? And "The Chokes On You"? Both are made with chick peas/white beans... actually I make the Yummus with half chick half white... it's pretty good! And a great snack with veggies or toasted ww pitas! And black beans are GREAT tossed in with salads! kinda tex mex-ish! YUM! I love beans!