Monday, August 18, 2008

Blood Sugar

Well that was certainly an awful start to the day.

I sat last night and wrote out my fitness plan for the week. I packed my gym bag, filled my water bottle, laid out my gym clothes, and set my alarm for an hour early. I even wrote out my menu plan for today so I wouldn't be humming and hawing about what to eat.

My alarm went off this morning and I only hit snooze once. I got up, washed my face, pulled my hair back, set up the coffee maker, and got into the car by 7:45 as planned.

Got to the gym and started my new Mon-Wed-Fri routine of 20 mins of HIIT...today on the crosstrainer. Pushed myself and got through it all hot and sweaty and feeling great. Headed over to the weight area to work on my strength training. I rewrote my routine last night....combo of favorite exercises from the two routines I have from my trainer sessions...got through the first two machines, but as I was starting my second set of tricep pulldowns I started to feel woozy. This reminded me that I had forgotten to drink my planned smoothie before I left home, but not eating before a workout isn't at all unusual for me so I thought nothing of it. But the wooziness didn't pass so I decided I'd better take a break.

By the time I got to the changeroom I was having full on spins. I went to a bathroom stall so I could sit down somewhere private...plus I thought I might puke. I was extremely lightheaded and I think I may have actually passed out for just a second because I wound up sitting on the floor of the stall. I sat there for a really long time until my breathing and heartrate returned to normal. Then I stood up and had to lean there for a while longer until my head stopped spinning.

I washed my face and towelled off, but I was all sweaty....like cold sweats. Basically I felt disgustingly drunk.

I managed to cool off enough by pulling my hair up and changing out of my runners....so I decided to go outside. Sat in my car for a while, and thankfully was able to drive myself home.

Got home, went straight to the fridge for the juice I should've had earlier....then straight to the couch where I fell asleep right away and slept for two hours. Woke up, still felt like human jello so had a bowl of fresh pineapple and then a chocolate granola bar. Obviously I'm assuming my blood sugar must be all out of whack for some reason....so I was trying to pump it up quickly.

I ended up going back to sleep for another hour, then forced myself to get up and at least check on work. 3.5 hours behind. Lovely.

Since then I've had a big bowl of cereal, lots of water, and I'm now considering some Advil and some more protein. I still feel like shit....like I'm hungover...which obviously isn't the problem.

I know people get nauseus or sick from working out too hard all the time, but seriously....this was no harder than I've ever worked out and I hadn't even made it 2/3 of the way through. WTF? It was fricking scary that's for sure.

Anyway, I'm hoping that eating will cure the issue and I'll be feeling back to normal tonight. I guess if I do, the rest of my activity will be mowing the lawn in the cool evening air....or maybe it will be continuing to lay on the couch with my laptop and bad movies. I am hoping for option A.

What a freaking piss off that this would happen on my big day of re-committment and gym excitement. Argh.

(Oh, and to top it off, of course I forgot to weigh-in....so I don't even know if my days of OP have panned out.) Pin It

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh! That's happened to me before! No fun!!

And feeling like you might puke at the gym is really embarrassing!

healthy ashley said...

Oh no! I can't believe all of that happened. Do you think it's just from not eating?

I bet your weigh-in will be awesome. it'll be even better next time you get to the gym.

Jen said...

HOLY SCARY!!!! I am hypoglycemic and I find that I get really weak if I don't eat or something before I work out...

Maybe try weighing in tomorrow?? Better late than never right?

OOh and try packing a granola bar in your gym bag from now on!!!!

tash said...

Scary! I hope you are feeling better!

Heather said...

I'm hypoglycemic too and when I was a teen passed out in public a time or two...not fun.

Hope you feel better soon :)

JavaChick said...

Yikes! Hope it's nothing more serious that low blood sugar from not eating.

It's funny - I used to work out in the morning before eating, and usually I was fine. But then sometimes it can hit you out of nowhere.

Hope you are feeling better today.

:)

ElleBee said...

I hate it when that happens... getting too low is really scary!

I try to keep a juice pak in my gym bag for those type of situations.

Jaime said...

I've always assumed that I am hypoglycemic or at least have some of symptoms. I guess it's time to actually get my doctor to take a looksie and see if it's true. My Mom is and my grandma was diabetic...so I wouldn't doubt that I am something.

I workout without eating more often than not so for it to go that bad that fast I was completely taken by surprise.