Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Recipe: Choc-o-Brans

This was originally the brainchild of someone over at WeightWatchers, but I use a modified version that was posted by a gal named Maria a couple of years ago. Her blog seems to have disappeared, so here's the recipe....

Ingredients:

3 cups All-Bran Original (not the flakes, they won't work)
2.5 cups boiling water
2 tsp baking powder
4 tsp cocoa (she recommends Ghirardelli, but I just use whatever I have on hand)
1 package Betty Crocker Low-Fat Brownie Mix
cooking spray

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 375F degrees
2. In large bowl, combine All-Bran and boiling water. All-Bran should look like soupy mush.
3. Incorporate baking powder, then cocoa.
4. Fold in brownie mix, half at a time. Stir until mixed, but don't overmix.
5. Divide batter evenly between 18 sprayed muffin tins.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until muffin tops are cracked and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan until easy to handle. Completely cool on wire baking rack.

They keep well wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for about a week. Also freeze well.

Nutritional Info (can't guarantee accuracy), per muffin:

138 calories
1.2 grams fat
4.8 grams fibre
-> 2 points

Additions:

Things that are yummy to add (recalculate the NI of course!)...nuts of your choice, dried fruit, coconut, mashed banana, shredded zucchini, pumpkin, Cool Whip topping, Betty Crocker Whipped Milk Chocolate Icing....

Enjoy!

Here's the link to the review (with photo!) that I did when I first got the recipe.
http://bi0nicw0man.blogspot.com/2007/04/recipe-review-chocobrans.html Pin It

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yum!
Can't wait to try them! Thanks for posting the recipe! Much appreciated, although I have a feeling these may get me into trouble...they'll be great for my picnic on Saturday though!

PS Your little camping adventure has inspired me to plan a camping trip for Scott and I on NB Day weekend. We've never been camping just the 2 of us! So excited!

Healthy Pear said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I will definitely give them a try. Just hope they're not too addictive! :)

Alli said...

TAGG!!!

Julie said...

Yummy I have tried these before but I did keep the recipe on hand so I'm thrilled you posted it.
Thanks for the great advice on my blog today!