Monday, March 17, 2008

Recipe - Modified Diet Pop Carrot Cupcakes

With all the talk about Diet Pop Carrot Cupcakes lately, the box of mix in my cupboard finally called my name yesterday morning. I don't mind the diet pop versions, but I can always taste the aspartame and that ruins it for me. So....I decided to use just Club Soda (still no calories, but also no stupid sweeteners) and let me tell you it worked like a charm. I also added a cup of mushed up All-Bran Original and you wouldn't even know it's in there...hehe, sneaky.

- 1 box Betty Crocker Carrot Cake Mix
- 1 can Club Soda
- 1 cup All-Bran Original
- extra sprinkle of cinnamon & nutmeg

Preheat the oven according to mix directions. Pour about 1/3 of soda over All-Bran and stir around so it gets completely mushy. Add the rest of the soda to the cake mix and stir under mixed. Stir mushy All-Bran into cake mix. Add extra cinnamon & nutmeg if desired. Bake as many cupcakes as you like (18 seems to work the best). I find I have to cook them about 3 minutes longer than called for on the box, otherwise they are a bit too crumbly and soft.

If you want to ice them, use your favorite Betty Crocker icing. Cream Cheese tastes the best, but Vanilla works too. Scoop a few big tablespoons into a bowl, add some cinnamon and whip with a fork. This makes it lighter and easier to spread so you don't need very much. I use about 1 tsp per cupcake. The added All-Bran helps to counteract the icing points!
Pin It

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my dear...you are brilliant!!!!

I ALWAYS have club soda on hand (I make Italian Sodas on a regular basis) and I never thought to use that (the aspartame bugs me too) and I REALLY never thought of the mushy all bran...or the icing...um yeah, so I didn't think of any of it and therefore you are genius!

Mandy said...

OMG now I want carrot cake! Sounds sooo good!!!

Mandy said...

Oh I've also heard about the betty crocker icing that if you whip it with a mixer, it will double in size, stretch further, be fluffier and less points for the same amount! Not a bad idea, eh? They do sell the whipped stuff as well.

healthy ashley said...

The all-bran idea is brilliant! Now I want to try the recipe!

Carolyn said...

Mmmmm Carrot cupcakes. Yum! I never would have thought to use club soda, smartie pants! Thanks for the great idea.

So glad you are rocking the gym. You are doing so fantastic! Makes me even more motivated to hit the gym a little harder this week!

Christina said...

That sounds awesome..I am making them this weekend :)