Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Recipe: Sticky Fruit & Seed Granola Bars

After ordering a particularly tasty granola bar at Starbucks last week I decided that I could probably recreate something similar at home for less money and fewer calories.  Finding that I still have some leftover brown rice syrup from that batch of Glo Bars I made I knew that was the way to go.

I give you my own personal Sticky Fruit & Seed Granola Bars.

031

Ingredients:

- 1.5 cups whole oats

- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots

- 1/4 cup dried cranberries

- 1/4 cup sultana raisins

- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted almonds

- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds

- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds

- big sprinkle cinnamon

- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup

- 1 tbsp butter

- 1 tsp real vanilla extract

- huge squirt honey (maybe 3 tbsp?)            

Directions:

- Mix all dry ingredients together (toast almonds in dry pan if necessary) in big bowl.

020

021

- Heat syrup, butter, and vanilla in non-stick pot over med-high heat.  Bring to boil, stirring frequently, reduce to simmer for a few minutes.  Don’t let it burn!

022

- Pour hot syrup mixture over dry mixture.  Add huge squirt of honey.  Stir until all combined.

025

- Spread into a sprayed and lined 8x8 cake pan.  Press down using sprayed wax paper (this is sticky stuff!!) until firm.  Cover with sprayed wax paper and put in freezer to set.

026

- Watch 30 minutes of Big Brother, then remove from freezer.  Use the pan liner to lift whole piece from pan.  Cut into 16 pieces. 

030

- Enjoy!!  Keep refrigerated.  Ooey, gooey, sticky, crumbly goodness.  :)

032

Pin It

11 comments:

Rachel said...

mmmmm...sounds good! I really admire the way you wanted to recreate those bars and then just did it! I have no kitchen confidence. Maybe I should give it a shot sometime :)

Lex said...

Mmmm those sound delish (minus the almonds for nut-free me...arg!)

Maybe one day I will get adventurous and make these guys on my own!!!

Lisa said...

OMG those look ridiculously delicious, I may be adventurous and give this a try!

Angela Power said...

Thanks buddy for your comment ;-)

I'm due to make a batch of something and these look like a good place to start :-)

eurydice said...

this just confirms that i need to make bars immediately - do you happen to have the recipe to the other bars you made - the glo ones? if so, would you please send it to me on fb? thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ohh can't wait to make a batch of these!

S. said...

I've been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to make these and today was finally the day. I have to say, they were amazing!! It was so hard to limit myself to just one! My kids approved too. :-)

Jessica said...

Hey Jaime! I tried making these tonight. They're delicious but came out really really sweet. I followed the recipie exactly except I omitted the hemp and swapped out peanut butter for butter (not doing dairy right now). There also seemed to be a lot of the rice syrup on the bottom of them. Any thoughts? Maybe reduce the syrup? Thanks!!

Jessica said...

PS - These were fabulously easy to make. I love how quick they are to do!

Unknown said...

Just made my first batch, first of many!! They are delicious. Much better than the one I had at Starbucks that made me look for a recipe! My husband will be lucky if there are any left for him to try!!

Thanks a bunch

Unknown said...

I decided that I could probably recreate carlmontpharmacy.com something similar at home for less money and fewer calories.