Friday, May 11, 2012

Cookies for Breakfast

Did you guys know it was Friday today?  I think I missed that memo.  My week has completely disappeared!  Not that I’m complaining…I’m just realizing that my blog sat empty of posts all week and I didn’t even notice.  Awful I tell you.  Just awful!

blueberry_cookies (18)

Mainly it’s because I’ve been a busy girl, I’ve barely eaten at home let alone create anything delicious to share with you, and the majority of my ‘workouts’ this week have been walking the dog around the block in between work projects.

But not to worry!  Last night after I got through work and a visit with my bestie I rummaged around the kitchen and came up with enough yummy ingredients to invent a quick little breakfast cookie to share.

blueberry_cookies _8

Of course, you could eat these any time but since I munched down three with my coffee this morning I must refer to them as breakfast cookies!

blueberry_breakfast_cookies

Blueberry-Apricot Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

Yields 20 cookies, give or take a few

approximately 110 calories each as per MyFitnessPal

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup whole oats
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup dried blueberries
  • 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped small
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted but not boiling or hot
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp orange juice
  • 1 tbsp orange zest, finely minced
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup milk (I used vanilla coconut milk)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl mix together all dry ingredients, including coconut and dried fruit.
  3. In a separate bowl mix together all wet ingredients, except the milk.
  4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, then mix all together using a fork to ensure all dry ingredients are moistened.  Stir in the first 1/4 cup of milk.  Add more milk if necessary to reach a ‘mucky’ consistency.  (You are looking for the dough to be moist but still holding together to form the cookies).
  5. Scoop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, just until bottoms become golden.  Cool on baking rack.

IMG_6630blueberry_cookies (10)

I didn’t use quite enough butter in mine and then cooked my first batch about a minute too long so they are a wee bit dry.  But I’ve altered the recipe for you all so you shouldn’t have any issues.  These are not a sweet cookie which is what makes them nice for breakfast time, but I’d gobble these up with a cup of tea in the evening too.

IMG_6619

There’s just something about fresh and chewy dried blueberries!  Love.

What’s your favourite dried fruit?  I love dried cherries but they are seemingly impossible to find around here!

Pin It

2 comments:

The Postess said...

Cookies for breakfast? Yes, please!

I love dried cherries too, they're just too darn expensive so I save them for special treats like (sneaking them in) to the movies and stuff.

Have a good weekend recovering from your busy week!

Anonymous said...

Cookies for breakfast? Now, I know I need to stop by here more often if this is how you do things. Sounds delicious. Hope you enjoy the weekend.