Thursday, March 22, 2012

Some Life Rules

Randomly I gave myself some new life rules this week.

  • No more computer in bed.  I have developed a bad habit of catching up on missed TV shows and Google Reader after I crawl into bed each evening.  This leads to staying awake until 2-3am. 

For the last three nights I’ve gone to bed by 11pm and read until no later than midnight.  The result:  I’ve slept SO WELL.  Duh.

  • No more late night snacking.  You know what happens when you stay awake until 3am?  You are starving at 1am.  And then you eat cereal, or crackers, or cheese, or all of the above.

For the last three nights I’ve been asleep so no wee hour snackage. 

  • No more hitting snooze eleven thousand times.  Yeah.  That whole staying awake until 3am thing makes it really hard to get up when my alarm goes off at 8:30.

For the last three mornings I’ve been up, walked the dog, and poured my morning coffee by 9:15.  Yes, I do realize I have it good but hey man, that’s part of the reason I wanted this whole work-at-home gig.

  • No more waiting until 11:30 to eat breakfast.  I always eat three proper meals each day but my timing has been ABSURD.  Eating in the middle of the night, combined with getting up late, and my usual sleepyhead bleary-eyed morning funk leaves me not wanting to eat right away.

For the last three mornings I’ve made a point of making breakfast as soon as I finish my first cup of coffee, then eating lunch by 1pm (instead of waiting until like 3pm after my workouts) and making dinner at a normal time.  All this with a couple of light snacks in between has left me completely satisfied.

  • More reading, less TV. 

By not watching TV in bed I’m now behind on some of my shows but I’m not missing them too much since I have a couple of good books to read.  (Hunger Games anyone?)

None of these rules were on purpose really.  I had a good weekend and woke up on the right side of the bed this past Monday.  I felt motivated and my brain just formulated these plans for me without me having to really think about it.  I guess sometimes your body really does know what’s best for it!

Ever just wake up one day and feel like instituting some healthy new life rules?  Feeling motivated about life in general these days?  Share with us!!

Pin It

6 comments:

transformingtamara said...

Love this!!! I firmly believe that everyone needs revisit a list like this every few months! Yah!!!!

Nadia said...

I'm with you on the late night snacking. I needed this reminder!

carla said...

no more computer in bed REALLLY HELPED ME.


MizFit

Alison said...

More reading, less tv is one of those things I'm definitely all for! We don't have cable, but I can easily get sucked into a tv show on the computer or a movie on the tv. Reading is so much more beneficial!

JavaChick said...

I love crawling in bed to read at night. It seems to help me settle down to sleep. Unless I'm reading a real page turner - that can end up being a problem. Loved Hunger Games! Hoping I can convince Husband to go see the movie with me. :)

Aubrey said...

Yep, fully agree. I have all the same "mini-vices."