Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Roasted Beet Quinoa with Honey Vinaigrette

Now that Spring is trying to show it’s face around here I’m wondering if my current obsession with roasted vegetables will start to slow down.  I am so in love with roasted veggies I don’t know if I’ll just let them go as the weather gets warmer or if I will tough out having the oven on no matter what.  Hmmm.

I suppose time will tell!  Until then, here’s another recipe with my favourite roasted vegetable…beets.  This one is easy, nutritious, tasty and can work as either a side dish or a meal.  Personally I just heaped a bunch into a bowl and called it dinner. 

quinoa_salad (9)

While writing this I’m trying to decide if this should be called a salad?  or more likely it’s a pilaf?  No, I mixed leafy greens into it?  That makes it a salad doesn’t it?  Can pilaf have leafy greens?

quinoa_salad_collage

It’s tossed in vinaigrette so I suppose that solidifies it into the salad category.  Yes, quinoa salad.  We have a winner.

Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets, Goat Cheese, and Pine Nuts

Yields 4 side dishes, or 2-3 good sized meals

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium beet, peeled, cubed and roasted
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled, thickly sliced and roasted
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 6o grams (2 oz) soft goat cheese
  • 2 cups assorted leafy greens (arugula and baby spinach are nice)
  • 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
  • 1 cup dry quinoa, cooked in 1 1/2 cups of water

Honey Vinaigrette:

  • 1 1/2 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp dill
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. Roast your veggies (toss in drizzle of olive oil and roast on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes).  While those are roasting, prepare your quinoa (bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 10-12 minutes, let stand 5 minutes to absorb all water).
  2. In a large bowl whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together.
  3. To the bowl add the roasted veggies, then the greens, then the cooked quinoa.  The heat from the veggies and quinoa will help wilt the greens.  Add green onions and small chunks of goat cheese.  Stir carefully, being sure to get all dressing from the bottom of the bowl incorporated throughout the mixture. 
  4. Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve.

quinoa_salad (6)

Since I like it served warm maybe we can call it pilaf salad?  Whatever you call it, enjoy!  MyFitnessPal clocks this in at a lovely 330 calories if you do 4 servings.  So fill up your little blue bowl and go to town.  I sure did.

quinoa_salad (8)

Do your tastes change with seasons?  Would you abandon your favourite roasted veggies in lieu of something more Summery?

Pin It

No comments: