Thursday, March 15, 2012

How To: Taco Seasoning

Over time I’ve come to realize that Mexican is my favourite go-to food choice.  There’s just something about it that is so comforting, filling and delicious.  (We’ll ignore the part about it usually being covered in melty cheeeese). 

I collect up recipes for enchiladas and burritos but honestly I love a regular ol’ taco!  The hard shelled kind.  I’ll eat a soft shell in a pinch but to me that’s more of a sad handheld enchilada.  I like to take my warm, crispy shells and pile them high with seasoned meat, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa and my favourite, sour cream.  I suspect this is not very traditional in the Mexican community but it’s traditional from my childhood meal perspective.

Of course, my childhood meals were always made from those lovely yellow spice packets and shell boxes from the supermarket.  Now that I’m reading labels and trying to avoid things like excess sodium and MSG I thought it would be best to just make my own taco seasoning.  I’ve been using this one for a few years now and it works perfectly.

Mexican_spice

Homemade Mexican Spice Mix

Yields just a little less than one cup.  Keeps very well in a sealed container.

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup chili powder
  • 2 tbsp ground cumin
  • 2 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp dried or ground oregano
  • 1/2 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp salt

Directions:

  1. Mix all spices together and store in a sealed container. 
  2. To use:  Add 2 tbsp of seasoning mix per 450 grams of ground meat.  While browning the meat, add the seasoning.  If using lean meat you may add a few tablespoons of water or broth to help the seasoning absorb.

IMG_6206

Lately I’ve been making Turkey Taco Salads.  I get more veggies this way and it’s fun to stir it all together and make a big mess before stuffing my face.

IMG_6194

This way still seems fun and comforting (and totally deeeelish) without the added calories of yellow corn shells, heaps of cheese, or greasy ground beef.  Lean ground turkey breast, a lighter hand on the cheese, and multigrain tortilla chips are the way to go.  Add extra veggies by sautéing grated carrot, celery and onion into the turkey and piling cucumbers and yellow bells peppers into the salad with the lettuce and tomatoes.  No dressing needed!  That’s what the salsa and light sour cream are for. :)

IMG_6187

Other fun additions to the mix:

  • Corn and black beans (add to the meat mixture)
  • Chickpeas and red onion (hot with the meat, or cool in the salad)
  • Avocado chunks
  • Fresh cilantro
  • Fresh or pickled jalapeño pepper
  • Squeeeeeeze of fresh lime
  • Or make a creamy dressing of Greek yogurt or light sour cream with pureed avocado, lime juice, cumin and salt.  Drizzle away!
Pin It

1 comment:

OldGoogleAccount said...

Girl, your tv viewing habits are eclectic! I have to say I'm right there with you on Top Chef Texas (so glad Sarah didn't win), The Walking Dead (Rick Grimes is my new fake boyfriend, I lurve him) and Mad Men. I am so curious to see where they are all at two years later! Now tell my you're stoked for Season 4 of Nurse Jackie and well, I see tv and popcorn in our future when I'm visiting LOL.

And I have the very first episode of Downton Abbey on my computer. Now I'm afraid to watch it! I don't need another addiction.