Friday, February 17, 2012

Blueberry Brunch Muffins

When I was a kid my Mom would occasionally make blueberry muffins as a weekend breakfast treat.  Actually, it was probably brunch because I’ve always been a late sleeper but I suspect that when I was 10 I didn’t actually know what brunch was.

Funny how that works because now as an adult brunch is one of my favourite things ever.  Whether that be hitting up a cool restaurant for a plate full of hash browns or chilling in my pyjamas eating homemade muffins with my scrambled eggs.  Either way, brunch is the shiz.

blueberry_orange_muffin

Those little muffins my Mom made were delicious.  I remember them clearly as if it was yesterday.  Sadly there was no recipe (because they came from a package…shhhhhh) so when I got to thinking about them I had to do a lot of searching around to see if I could find something that even came close.

No healthy, flax filled, bran muffin was going to cut it here! 

Once I started looking I became inspired to change things up a little make my own version of brunch muffins.  Sure blueberry is nice…but how’s about something a little snazzier?  Gorgeous navel oranges were on sale this week which made for beautiful inspiration!

buck_brand_oranges

Oranges and blueberries piled into a perfect dome topped muffin?  I think so.  And while we’re at it, let’s dig out some almonds and add a little crumble to the top of these.  Oh, and if that isn’t enough let’s add Greek yogurt to the batter to really get things going. :)

blueberries

Now these aren’t my Mama’s muffins but maybe, just maybe, these are my muffins!  Sunday pyjama brunch, look out.

blueberry_orange_muffins

Blueberry-Orange Yogurt Muffins with Almond Streusel Topping

inspired by My Baking Addiction

yields 12 muffins

Ingredients:

Muffins

  • zest of one navel orange
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • juice of two navel oranges
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Streusel Topping

  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp cold butter
  • pinch of orange zest
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • drop of almond extract

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
  2. In a food processor, blitz almonds until coarsely chopped.  Add remaining streusel ingredients and blitz to a combined coarse crumb.  Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. In a small bowl, combine orange zest and sugar. Mix with your fingertips until sugar is lump free and combined. Set aside.
  4. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
  5. In large bowl, beat eggs and sugar mixture with a whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Continue beating while slowly pouring in the oil. Stir in vanilla.
  6. Whisk dry ingredients into egg mixture alternating with yogurt until smooth. Gently fold in blueberries.
  7. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin and top with a heaping tablespoon of streusel topping.  Press lightly with fingers.
  8. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until streusel begins to brown.  Do not overcook.  Let cool completely.

IMG_5887

Notes:

  • No food processor?  No problem.  Just chop your almonds by hand, stir dry ingredients together with a fork, then cut butter in using two knives.  Harder work but similar result.
  • Avoid using paper muffin liners.  The blueberries stick and that’s no fun. 
  • Mine were slightly overcooked on the bottom.  Ensure you use the middle oven rack (or higher even) and check for doneness at 16-17 minutes.

According to MyFitnessPal these beauties roll in at about 210 calories per muffin with the streusel, and about 260 calories with it.  Treat indeed!

b&w_muffins

I guess the next project will be to healthy up these little balls of white sugar and all purpose flour.  Or maybe some things just aren’t meant to be messed with.  Next you’ll be asking me to healthy up the bacon in my brunch.

Gasp.

Pin It

No comments: