Wednesday, December 28, 2011

All Christmased Out

IMG_5073

I will leave the decorations up through NYE but I’m so done with the holiday treats.  No more chips and dip, no more missing pieces from the gingerbread house, no more fingers in the cookie tin.

IMG_5090

I don’t even know why I kept any of my holiday baking in my freezer.  I’m sure it will only taunt me and wag it’s finger at my too tight jeans.

IMG_5142

But you…you!  You still get to enjoy my Nanaimo Bars from afar.  Maybe file this one away for next year.  I don’t want you blaming me for your too tight jeans.

IMG_5143

Nanaimo Bars (by a true Nanaimo girl)

* yields 20-25 bars depending on how you cut them

Ingredients:

Layer One

  • 1/2 cup butter (or margarine), room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 tbsp cocoa
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup medium coconut
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs

Layer Two

  • 1/4 cup butter (or margarine), room temperature
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 2 tbsp vanilla custard powder, sifted
  • 2 cups icing sugar, sifted

Layer Three

  • 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1 tbsp butter (or margarine)

IMG_5107

Directions:

Layer One

  1. Combine graham cracker crumbs, coconut, walnuts and cocoa – set aside.
  2. Place butter, sugar, cocoa, and vanilla in a metal bowl set atop a pot of lightly boiling water (or use double boiler).  Stir until butter melts and ingredients combine.
  3. Add a big scoop of the warm mixture to the beaten egg and whisk to temper.  Immediately add egg mixture to bowl of warm mixture and whisk to combine.  Remove from heat.
  4. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir well to combine.  Press mixture into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 square pan.  Cool.

Layer Two

  1. Using a hand mixer, blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.  Spread over Layer One. 

Layer Three

  1. Using the double boiler set up again, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring until smooth.  Spread carefully over Layer Two.
  2. Chill for at least one hour before cutting into squares using a sharp knife dipped in hot water.

IMG_5115

Every year since 1996 I’ve attempted to make these as good as my Mom used to.  And every year since 1996 one layer gives me grief.  This year the bottom layer is my best yet (!) but the easiest layer, the chocolate, decided to torment me and not get smooth. 

Bumpy chocolate tastes better anyway.  No?

IMG_5117

And with that, Chibi says ‘Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight’.

IMG_5130

Even hairless dogs get turkey comas.

Pin It

2 comments:

carla said...

ok my husband would LOVE THESE.
as would my friends on NYE.

THANK YOU.
and
printing....


MizFit

Michelle said...

It all looks so tasty. AND I HAVE THE CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS TREE!! I found it a couple years ago at Sears and since my brother and sister both live away from me, I sent them each one too. I love it.