Wednesday, August 31, 2011

B.L.T. Quinoa Salad

IMG_2651

Even stale coffee tastes deeeelish in a cute mug. Yellow makes me smile.

IMG_2640

I don’t know how it happened but my fruit bowl is entirely empty.  And I’m unwilling to bust into the frozen blueberries just yet so my waffle found itself paired with a flattened banana today.

IMG_2641

And since I was apparently having fun taking pictures of things I was holding this morning, here’s the boiled egg I ate before heading to the gym.

IMG_2642

I heard a dirty rumour that today (or possibly Sept-6th…apparently it’s up in the air) is the last day of $1 drinks from McD’s so clearly I had to stop for an iced coffee to mark the occasion.

IMG_2646

And paired it with a granola bar because I waited way too late to go the gym and my stomach was screaming for lunch…which I just COULD NOT wait the 5 minutes for.

IMG_2644IMG_2647

Awwww yeah.  Fresh veggies!  And another hard boiled egg.  It’s a good thing I live alone.  ;)

IMG_2649

My little patio herb planters are chock full of fresh green herby goodness now so I decided to pick a bunch last night and turned it into an easy peasy dip.  Fresh basil for the win!

IMG_2623

Fresh Herby Dip:  mix together…

  • 3/4 cup light sour cream
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (I used parsley, basil and chives)
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced
  • juice of half a lemon
  • salt & pepper, sprinkle of paprika

I was a bit too heavy handed on the garlic in my batch but overnight the flavours came together quite well.  The lemon really works with the fresh herbs.

IMG_2650

Check this dinner out. Genius I tell you. What do you do with a random pack of bacon, a recently unearthed bag of quinoa, and a bounty of cherry tomatoes from your very own patio planter?

IMG_2617IMG_2662

Well B.L.T. Quinoa Salad of course!  And just like I’d put on the sandwich, the dressing involves mayo and Dijon.

Ingredients (two servings):

  • 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked in 3/4 water, room temperature
  • 4 slices bacon, cooked crispy, crumbled
  • 12-14 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cup shredded lettuce
  • optional:  fresh herbs (chives and parsley)

For dressing:

  • 1.5 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper

IMG_2660

Directions:

  1. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.  Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
  2. Simply add the quinoa, bacon, tomatoes, and herbs to the dressing bowl.  Toss, add the lettuce, toss again.  Serve.

IMG_2665

I enjoyed the first bowl so much that I actually went back and hoovered down the second serving I was planning to save for tomorrow’s lunch. Oooops.

IMG_0314

This evening I met up with the other Jamie for our traditional coffee date.  I heard a rumour that the new Starbucks finally opened at Uptown and they were giving away free food and drinks in exchange for donations to our local food bank.

Nothing wrong with a Decaf Americano Misto in exchange for a few bucks to The Mustard Seed!

IMG_0312

Of course, we also took this opportunity to pop into Cupcakes since it is conveniently located right next door to the new Starbucks.  I hadn’t been there yet and even though I was up to my eyeballs in quinoa salad I couldn’t resist the cupcakey goodness.

IMG_0315

Red Velvet.  Sorry local cupcakeries, this mainland chain still wins in the cream cheese frosting department.  So deeeelicious. 

I kind of want to go back for a six pack of day-olds to bring camping this weekend.  What?  It’s RV camping.  There’s internet access.  Cupcakes would be perfectly acceptable.  Honest.

Pin It

4 comments:

Amy said...

I got my coffee for $1 today!

Janna said...

That mug makes me happy all the way over here :)

And for some reason...now I want cupcakes :)

Christy said...

LOL, your hardboiled egg/living alone comment made me snort :)

Michelle said...

That BLT Quinoa salad looks lovely. In fact, I think that's getting made tonight. I have turkey bacon (it will just have to do) and a woman at work brought me a load of tomatoes from her garden today.

Cupcakes are ALWAYS perfectly acceptable :)