Monday, July 25, 2011

Sun Drenched

What’s the best way to spend an absolutely glorious hot and sunny Summer Saturday morning?  Why sitting on a sun drenched patio in my bikini with coffee, a man, a new Kindle book and fresh fruit salad of course.

IMG_0202IMG_1729

Even the puppers were in fine spirits and willing to share a blanket in the hot, beautiful sun!

puppy_love_collage

Also fun, climbing through Michael’s hedges in bare feet and my bikini rummaging for strawberries.  I started out with a handful for snacking and by the time I was done there was a whole bucket.  This is how I earn my keep apparently.

IMG_0204IMG_1730

After realizing I’d been a tad too late with the sunscreen I decided to call it a day from the sun…and apparently my camera.  I spent the afternoon doing a few chores around my apartment, then we spent the evening stuffing ourselves full of Teppanyaki deliciousness at Japanese Village for Michael’s sister’s birthday (hi Brenda!!).  Steak sauce for the win.

Sunday was another relaxing day…oh life is rough.  Mostly I ran some errands with Tiffaney and puttered with my planters.  My tomato plant is near bursting with little green babies just waiting for more than two days of sun!

IMG_1734

My cilantro bolted early on so now it’s just pretty to look at.

IMG_1735

Summer snackypoo:  BC Rainier cherries.

IMG_1739

Later I threw together an easy Greek Pasta Salad because it’s super awesome to crank up a hot pot of boiling water on a crazy hot day. ;)

IMG_1751

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups small pasta (I used Smart rotini)
  • 1 cup English cucumber, cubed
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/3 cup yellow pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 12 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, diced or crumbled (I used light)
  • fresh basil, chopped
  • Dressing made from Clubhouse Greek Seasoning (3 tbsp seasoning, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp water.  Shake together and let stand while preparing salad.)

IMG_1742

Directions:

  1. Boil pasta according to package directions.
  2. While pasta boils, chop veggies and cheese and toss in a large bowl.
  3. Drain cooked pasta and immediately rinse with cold water to stop cooking process and chill pasta.  When pasta is fully drained and cool to the touch add to the bowl of veggies, add dressing, and toss to coat.
  4. Let stand before serving.  Refrigerate if more than 20-30 minutes before meal time.

IMG_1750

We served this alongside store bought deli chicken with tzatziki for dipping and a side of Matthew McConaughey.  Light, flavourful, simple Sunday dinner.

Later we dished up some of Saturday’s strawberries atop vanilla ice cream and I might have cried a little because the berries were so good.  If only my little patio berries hadn’t fallen victim to the evil Victoria wind Gods.  I guess I’ll just have to continue to raid Michael’s garden.

Someone’s got to do it.

Pin It

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love my Kindle and have the same cover in red. I'm in love with the cover too! Can't wait to try the pasta salad.

I've been meaning to ask you about the Griddler, do you love it?? I'm really contemplating the purchase. My George Forman is getting old and I"m thinking an upgrade i necessary.

Jaime said...

Hi Michelle,
Yes, I love my Griddler. Mainly I use it to grill chicken and fish, but it's a great substitute for cooking burgers and sausages, etc since I don't have a BBQ. It also makes great panini-style sandwiches and I have use the griddler to make bacon, eggs, pancakes and french toast. Totally worth it in my opinion! :)

ElleBee said...

That greek salad looks great! I've been eating a lot of cold salads for lunch recently so I'm going to add this to my list of recipes to try. :)

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

OOOH....BC Ranier cherries? YUM! The pasta dish looks great too. Very envious that you still have fresh strawberries for the taking. Have a great day Jamie.

Anonymous said...

Those strawberries and that pasta salad look divine. And the dogs are so sweet cuddling (you know I have a soft spot for brindle boys). Looks like a perfect summer day! xo