Thursday, January 27, 2011

Not Now

See this gorgeous orange?  Isn’t she a beauty?

IMG_5891

Doesn’t she scream fresh and sunny?  Wouldn’t you be excited to eat her?  Yes, me too!

Sadly, she tasted like azz. Bitter and yucky. Booooo. 

Thank gawd for the uber-delicious peasant bread with sunflower butter and bananas.  Almost made me forget about that dirty, disappointing orange.  Almost.

IMG_5896IMG_5900

Coffee helped too.  I must have been too busy mourning the citrus to capture the coffee.

For lunch I decided to make a snack plate because there was fresh shrimpies to use up and multigrain Wheat Thins just crying to be cracked into.

IMG_5904

After stating I had just bought my first ever bottle of sriracha sauce for the Tom Yum soup I received multiple comments about how it’s unbelievable I’ve made it this far in life without it.  So I decided to take Ingmarie’s suggestion to mix it with mayo for a quickie shrimp salad.

IMG_5901

Don’t worry, I added more.  Just started out small. :)  Sadly I don’t have any pickles or green onions so the shrimp salad was tres basic…but still delicious scooped on my favourite crack-ers…alongside light cheddar, carrots sticks, and perfect red grapes.

IMG_5903IMG_5905

There was still coffee left in the pot so I made an after lunch misto using UVAB and a smidge of vanilla syrup.

IMG_5907

And snacked on a flattened banana during a Skype call to discuss a new project I’ve taken on to make a couple of bucks and help a friend out.

IMG_5908

The call intervened on my gym time (I’ve had my gym clothes on since about 3pm…guess I’m not going!) but it was nice to sort everything out and I was able to get through the first part of the project tonight.

Before tackling the draft I whipped up a batch of soup.  Every single time I check my Google Analytics without fail the most searched term that leads people to my blog is “healthy broccoli soup”.  I decided the other day that it’s stupid I’ve only ever made such a popular recipe once (!!) and picked up the super simple ingredients to make it again.

IMG_5930

So quick and easy!!

In order to make it cheesy I made a fast and light cheese sauce on the side and then drizzled it into the soup.  Worked perfectly…smooth and lovely…no lumpy cheeeese! 

IMG_5936

Light Cheese Sauce:

  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1.5 tsp corn starch
  • 3/4 cup skim milk
  • salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
  • 3/4 cup grated light cheddar
  • 2 tbsp grated parmesan (optional)

Directions:

  1. In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat.  Add corn starch, whisk thoroughly and let cook approx. 30 seconds (keep whisking).
  2. Gradually whisk in the milk 1/4 cup at a time.  Adjust heat if boiling…should just be a quick bubble.  Season.
  3. When desired thickness is reached, remove from heat and stir in cheese.
  4. Serve!

I’ve used this sauce on baked potatoes, steamed veggies, atop chili or to make nachos.  Nom.

After dinner I got back to work on my project and ended up breaking into these candies leftover from girl’s weekend.  I find it hilarious that talking hearts now have VERY different sayings than when we were kids.

IMG_5943

How very 80s!

IMG_5947

Traditional.

IMG_5950

What the heck?  Now that’s not very friendly.

IMG_5951

LOL.  What is that?  The old married couples sweet heart? ;)

Pin It

2 comments:

Angela Power said...

Haha that's too funny!

I've almost picked up a bottle of sriracha every time I'm at Costco because it's right there every time and cheap! But then I imagine it's gigantic size and how much space it will take up & resign to it never getting used because I'm not much of a hot sauce girl, but then again, I bet I have the potential to be, just never really try adding hot sauce to stuff. I may pick up a bottle since there have been plenty of recipes that I've come across that call for it. Yeah what the heck I"m going to get all crazy and buy some too the next time :-)

Kim said...

haha... that last heart made me laugh! My oranges have been no good lately... they're just not in season I guess. But my grapes have been rockin! Yours looked so good!