Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pizza di Bufala

My weekend festivities left me inspired to make homemade pizza.  Cuz, you know, I hadn’t already eaten enough for 10 people in those few days!

IMG_0748

My inspiration came in the form of organic heirloom tomatoes. 

IMG_0715

Conveniently I already had a super-duper batch of pizza dough on hand.

IMG_0704

While visiting a lovely organic market with my friend Rhyanon this past weekend she told me of this awesome local Mozzarella di Bufala from Natural Pastures.  I’d never seen it before but I think it was fate that my local supermarket had one container left when I was shopping.

IMG_0730

We encountered this cheese a couple of times during the Feast of Fields.

IMG_0732

So I had tomatoes, mozza, and crust…all I needed was fresh basil!

IMG_0727

The flavours really did all of the work.  All I did was make a thin crust, add seasoned tomato paste, and make the toppings all pretty.

IMG_0725IMG_0729IMG_0736

Sprinkled with fresh parmesan and cracked pepper, and baked away on my Pampered Chef pizza stone for about 12 minutes at 450 degrees.  (I just tap the crust to see if it’s at my desired crispness.)

IMG_0738IMG_0737

The buffalo mozzarella gets hot and melty, yet firm.  The tomatoes are juicy and deeeeelish.  Fresh basil becomes crispy and chewy.  And the crust is just the way I like it…soft with a crusty shell.

IMG_0746

This, dear friends, is why I can never order delivery pizza. 

IMG_0749

Note: It was the absolutely amazing fresh tomatoes that made this meal.  If I were using a lesser tomato I may likely have had to bump up the flavour using other veggies, herbs or a homemade sauce.  This is why I will cry when this year’s long lasting tomato season comes to an end…soon. :(

Pin It

8 comments:

Conny Mc said...

I have never liked pizza and I think now I know why....it needs to be homemade! I am going to make a batch of dough this weekend and try it myself. I have a feeling the kids are not gonna like Momma's pizza though!

Roxie said...

Looks wonderful!

H-woman said...

That pizza is a work of art!

YUM!

=)

Laura said...

i love the flavors on this pizza. i'll never order a pizza, ever again

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely amazing, Jaime.

Anonymous said...

Homemade pizza is the best! I almost always make my own now. I use my bread machine to make the dough--super easy! I should try using fresh mozzarella...mmmmm!

Shirls said...

that looks like a cookbook pizza picture, totally amazed by you and ashamed that I had take out pizza recently *hangs head*

JavaChick said...

Yep, fresh tomatoes and homemade pizza are the best. Freshly grown tomatoes may only be around for a short window of time, but at least you can make homemade pizza year round!