Friday, September 24, 2010

Mushroom & Bacon Risotto

While I’m away sitting by the pool in Las Vegas my apartment is being painted and having window and door trim installed by a good family friend.  Since she has traveled from Nanaimo to stay in my apartment and help me out I figured the least I could do would be feed her!

Lisa is gluten intolerant (oh the horror!!) so I decided to cook them up a batch of risotto that would be easily reheated. 

IMG_0794

Mushroom is one of my favourite risotto additions and bacon is my favourite “a little bit goes a long way” food so the combination seemed the way to go!

Ingredients:

IMG_0762

  • 2 bacon slices (I buy them from the meat counter)
  • 8 good sized mushrooms of your choice (I used brown)
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 small white onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
  • 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • salt & pepper

Directions:

  • Heat chicken stock and water in a saucepan over high heat.  Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
  • Cook bacon slices in large non-stick skillet until crisp.  Remove bacon and reserve bacon grease in side dish. Chop bacon.
  • Cook onions and garlic in bacon residue until translucent.  Remove to side dish.

IMG_0767

  • Add bacon grease (about 1 tablespoon) back to pan at med-high heat.  Add rice, toss to coat, and cook for about 2 minutes.

IMG_0771

  • Add the stock one ladle at a time, stirring the rice constantly until liquid is absorbed. 

IMG_0772

  • When about 2/3 of the liquid has been added, add chopped mushrooms. Stir.  Keep adding liquid as before.

IMG_0774

  • When mushrooms begin to cook, add peas and reserved onions.

IMG_0779

  • Finish adding liquid, and continue stirring until almost liquid absorbed.  Stir in chopped bacon to finish.

IMG_0776IMG_0788

Eat up!

IMG_0791IMG_0809

Bacon makes everything better!  Who says gluten-free dinner has to be boring? Nom!

Pin It

4 comments:

Oh Very said...

I thought risotto was complicated to make. This recipe sounds so simple and delicious, so thanks for posting it! It'll make even kitchen-phobic people like me cook. :)

Ingmarie said...

looks delish Jaime. know what gluten free meal i am going to make the next time i need some comfort this fall.

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

Mmmm...bacon...

(Funny though, I enjoy it more in a recipe than just by itself.)

How's Mr. Stoopy these days?

Karla said...

your food makes me want to lick the computer screen!!!