Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Coconut Layer Bars

This recipe for Coconut Layer Bars could also qualify to be called Coconut Crack Bars.

IMG_9555

As you may have noticed, anything that I can’t keep my sticky little fingers off of is referred to as crack.  Hummus, jam, lattes, whatever.  These definitely fall into that category. 

IMG_9549

I apologize to whoever it was that I “borrowed” the original recipe for these from because I printed it out and never made note of where I found it.  So technically this is not mine.  However, I did modify it to suit my needs…so maybe I can call it my own? Winking smile

Either way make these, enjoy these, and try not to gain 20lbs overnight.

Coconut Layer Bars

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup coconut milk (light or regular)
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/4 cup melted butter, margarine, or coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips or chunks
  • 1 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

IMG_9525

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a saucepan whisk together coconut milk and brown sugar over medium-high heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  Remove from heat and let cool while preparing the crust.
  3. Line a 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper (trust me, you need this part…spraying doesn’t work the same for this recipe). In a bowl combine graham crumbs, sugar and melted butter.  Mix well to moisten crumbs evenly.  Firmly press mixture into pan.  Press hard and press even.
  4. Pour warm coconut mixture over the base. Tilt to reach all edges evenly.
  5. Top with an even layer of chocolate chips, then flaked coconut, then nuts. Firmly pat everything down with spatula until coconut milk seeps upwards through the toppings.
  6. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until coconut is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and let entire pan cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes or until pan is cool enough to move to refrigerator.  Cool completely for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.
  7. When firm lift bars out of pan using the parchment paper (might need to run knife around the edges).  Cut into 12 squares.  If you don’t eat them all right away they should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge or can be frozen if wrapped tightly.

IMG_9557

I froze six (thank Gawd!) but the other six didn’t stand a chance.  These bars are the best of all worlds…not too sweet, not too sticky…just a little crunchy with a little gooey.  Really the best treat I’ve discovered in a while. They will become a staple on my “what to bake for guests and friends” list.  Nom.

Pin It

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds dangerous.

I'm backing away as I speak!


haha..



yum

Conny Mc said...

I agree with Jessica above. I practically ate a whole container of the Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus in two days, that I kept reading about here!! That stuff is CRACK!
Must stay away from Jamie's suggestions...Must stay away from Jamie's suggestions...Must stay away from Jamie's suggestions...Must stay away from Jamie's suggestions...Must stay away from Jamie's suggestions...
LMFAO!

Jenna said...

MMM, those look great!

Anonymous said...

These sound suspiciously like Magic Cookie bars, except with coconut milk instead of sweetened condensed milk.

Jaime said...

What's a Magic Cookie bar? Must Google. Are you saying that like it's a bad thing?