Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Chill in the Air

Although the weekend did end up being quite sunny, hot and lovely the evenings lately have been reminding us that Autumn is definitely on it’s way.  It’s darker earlier, it’s cooler earlier, and more than once I’ve pulled out my fleecy blanket for curling up on the sofa in the evening.

IMG_9520

I’m not very interested in letting go of Summer just yet, but the thought of a few Autumn eats is quite appealing.  With that first evening chill came the realization that it’s pretty much chili season. 

IMG_9497

As always, I dug through my recipe box to find my Mom’s Basic Chili recipe.  Also as always, I gave it my own twist.  Typical.  Can’t possibly just make something according to plan!

It became Turkey and Black Bean Chili

IMG_9505

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can Campbell’s tomato soup (plus 1/2 can water)
  • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 cup corn niblets, drained
  • 3-4 tsp chili powder (could also use Mexican seasoning)
  • 1 tsp cayenne or red pepper flakes
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • optional: 1 tsp cumin

Directions:

  1. Sautee onion and garlic in a non-stick skillet (use a smidge of oil to get them going).  When about half cooked, add turkey and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink.  Break up larger pieces with wooden spoon or spatula so you have nice turkey crumbles.
  2. Add soup, water, beans, vinegar and spices.  Stir well, and simmer over low-medium heat for about 4 minutes.  Stir occasionally. 
  3. Add tomatoes and corn.  Stir and simmer 2 more minutes.
  4. Serve it up!

Makes about 6-8 servings, depending on serving size.

IMG_9498

Day 1: dollop of sour cream, avocado wedges, and side of tortilla chips.

IMG_9507

Day 2: shredded cheddar and avocado scoop.

IMG_9573IMG_9572

Day 3: over a salad of spinach, carrots, yellow peppers, and cherry tomatoes…topped with finely shredded cheddar.

IMG_9587IMG_9591

Stash the rest of the leftovers in airtight zipper bags in the freezer.  You never know when another craving for homemade comfort food may strike.  Summer can’t last forever.

Pin It

6 comments:

Ang said...

Not gonna lie, consider yourself lucky for that chill in the air. If you were back in NS, you'd be enjoying 28C at 8 pm! Anyway, I may have to try that chili. I'm always impressed with the different ways you make one meal work. :)

Carol said...

Chili looks awesome. I also love just slicing and eating avocados...nom, nom, nom.
And Ang...it's really hard to feel bad for you guys out east when we're waking up to +3C on August 31st in Calgary!! If the heat is bothering you guys, just send it our way!!
Thanks.

Meghan said...

Oh my goodness. That chili looks DELISH! I'm going to need to try it very soon!

ElleBee said...

Chili looks great Jaime! It's about a bazillion degrees here, hope it cools off soon, I love Fall eats like that!

Ang said...

Carol - I'll gladly share! Apparently, we were at 100% humidity at 6:00 this morning. It's brutal - feels like I'm swimming in my apartment. I don't mind the heat so much as the sticky humidity. Yuck!

JavaChick said...

We're having a heat wave here. It's just ridiculously hot. I was standing at the kitchen counter last night, chopping tomatoes, and breaking a sweat. Not cooling off much at night either. Great for my tomato plants, aside from the fact that I'm having to water them every day.