Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cupcake Date

Ah-ha!  So I was indeed spelling my bum pain wrong.  Thanks to all of you the cleared it up...piriformis muscle!  So now my pain has a name...Piriformis Syndrome...Wikipedia describes it very well.  The treatment is exactly everything I've been doing...chiro, massage, stretch and strengthen.  So I guess more core and glute work is in my fitness future.  I suppose the bonus of all this is that I will end up with a very firm, cute butt!  :) 

Started the day dreaming of Vegas...

IMG_8499

I jumped into breakfast right away because I'd been thinking about it since I put it together last night.  First breakfast cookie in my new place!

IMG_8495

Powerhouse.  In the mix: rolled oats, Maranatha Chocolate Peanut Butter, mashed banana, flax meal, chia, unsweetened Almond Breeze, and a few Craisins for fun.

IMG_8498

This morning I topped it with organic vanilla yogurt and the rest of my banana.  Deeeeelish!  Kept me full all morning.

Lunch was one of my faves...homemade chicken salad.  Nom.

I cooked up and chopped an extra chicken breast the other night while I already had the grill going.  Today I added celery, green onion, and chopped red grapes...

IMG_8504

Mixed with olive oil mayo, salt and lots of pepper.  At the last minute I added chopped walnuts for more crunch.

IMG_8505

Instead of serving on bread I decided to make use of some of the veggies I have on hand and made little radicchio wraps instead.

IMG_8506IMG_8508IMG_8511 

The slightly bitter taste of the radicchio went really well with the fresh and creamy chicken salad.  I didn't miss the bread at all.

After finishing work for the day I met the camera shy other Jamie for a dinner and cupcake date! 

She works downtown so I met her at the Starbucks near her office.  I grabbed a decaf Iced Americano while we were there, then we walked the few blocks to our restaurant of choice.

714

Jamie had some work done on her teeth today so we opted for our fave little Vietnamese restaurant, Saigon Night, because she knew she could order something soft to eat there if need be.  Turned out her freezing was gone and she was able to order her usual anyway. :)  I ordered the same thing.

715

#18 - Bun Bi, Thit Nuong, Cha Gio - Rice vermicelli, grilled pork, shredded lettuce, carrots, bean sprouts and peanuts...with yummy sauce and a shrimp spring roll.

717 718 720

It's a huge serving!  I realized when I was about 3/4 of the way through that I wasn't even paying attention to eating it anymore so put my chopsticks down.  I probably should have stopped at half and brought the rest home!

Don't worry I left enough room for dessert. :)  Since I moved away only 2.5 years ago Victoria seems to have sprouted a few new cupcake places.  You know checking them out is high on my priority list!  Pink Sugar was conveniently along our path back to the car (OK, maybe we totally planned it that way!)...

726723 724

From their website: Cupcakes baked fresh in small batches daily, Pink Sugar Cupcakery's unique designer cupcakes are an artisan treat. Made with ingredients such as fresh bananas, real strawberries, pure Madagascar bourbon vanilla and fresh lemon, lime juice and zests, these dairy and egg-free treats are the only way to make your day a little sweeter.

725 

With all of the colourful varieties to chose from I had to read each description to see what caught my fancy.  I was leaning towards one of the chocolate with the bright icing, but when I read the description of The Lolla Lee Lou I knew it was the way to go for my first venture into the shop. Vanilla cake filled with a coconut lavender cream. Topped with a lemony cream cheese style frosting.

Because these cupcakes are vegan they are a little different texture that your standard cakey cupcake but the taste was still all there.  Nom.  The icing was softer than average buttercream but the fresh lemony zing and coloured sugar were delicious.  I had missed the note about the filling so that was a fun surprise.

Jamie ordered the Peanut Butter Cup-Cake which looked great!  but I think next time The Elvis might have my name on it.

Back at home I'm just doing some stretches for my bum (pigeon anyone!), catching up on a few episodes of last season's Mad Men, and aiming to head to bed early.  Night!

Pin It

9 comments:

ElleBee said...

I've never had Vietnamese food, looks great.... as does that cupcake! ;)

Becca said...

I have been avoiding cupcakes at Starbucks like mad, I would have caved if I would have seen an entire bakery for cupcakes. They sound great.

Also, that spring roll looked very greasy and yet still wonderfully perfect and crunchy - can I have a bite?

Becki said...

umm.vegan cupcakes?
YES please!! :)

Shirls said...

you must come for a visit and we can eat these:

http://www.cravecupcakes.ca/

btw - not helpful for the firm bum plan ;0) LOL

Vanessa said...

Cupcakes! Cupcakes cupcakes cupcakes!

sarah said...

Vietnamese food mmmmmmm so good. My Aunt makes wonderful Vietnamese food. She is Vietnamese after all. lol

Vegas, huh? And why would you be dreaming of Vegas? lol

Those cupcakes? Yum.

Alison Fay said...

Vietnamese is my absolute favourite! I was so happy when we finally got a place here.

Those cupcakes look insanely good!!

Alyssa Roman said...

Great food pics! I think I might get back into salads for next week. Oh and what a cute cupcake shop! We have a great local one where I'm a loyal customer... I fully support cupcakes but I go for the frozen yogurt!

Anonymous said...

*Would like to be included on any trip to Crave Cupcakes*