Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Saturday Pioneer

I wrote this morning’s post while enjoying an hour at Starbucks before tackling my Saturday.  Sipped on a double tall vanilla non-fat latte…and chewed on a slice of low-fat banana chocolate chip loaf…

IMG_8602

It was a fun change of pace to hang out somewhere other than my office or couch to write a post and catch up on a few things.

Afterwards I took on the grocery store for a much needed restock. 

Came home to drop the groceries off and made a quick snack to fuel me for my workout.  Plain yogurt, sliced banana, hemp seeds, and kickin’ it old school with some All-Bran…

IMG_1468

Topped with a spoonful of The Bee’s Knees peanut butter…

IMG_1475

And packed up a post-workout drink to take with me.  I decided the vanilla-chai flavor of Vega would be good mixed straight up with unsweetened Almond Breeze…

IMG_1476

I guess it’s sort of blasphemy to use my Amazing Grass shaker cup for a Vega drink.  *hangs head* 

Today marks Day One of Week Three of Intro to Iron.  I love Day One!  It’s lots of shoulders, chest and triceps and I can really tell I’m getting stronger!!

Added some of Jenna’s “eagle” crunches at the end of today’s session…those are brutal!  But I could do more this week than I could last week, so I’ll take it!!

Also added a 15 minute run on the treadmill.  I was exhausted afterwards.  Must be my late night catching up with me.

In the car, I shook up my protein drink…

IMG_8610

And chugged it on the drive home…

IMG_8609

OH!!!  I picked up a super-fabulous package today too!!! 

IMG_1480

Yes.  That says CUPCAKES!!  Full post to come…be prepared to get your drooooool on.  :)

I did have half of something called a Caramallow while making dinner…

IMG_1513

Heaven!

For dinner I wanted to try a Pioneer Woman recipe.  I’ve been spending a bit of time reading through her photography posts, but thought I should keep an eye on her recipes since that’s what she is famous for!  (I actually ordered her cookbook too.)

A week or so ago I printed out her recipe for Italian Meatball Soup.  Today I picked up the ingredients and got to work on it as soon as I’d showered and put on my comfy clothes.

IMG_1540

The meatballs.  :)  Cute and mucky.  Ree’s are nicer than mine, but ah well.  She also got 24 and I barely got 16…guess I was a bit heavy handed.

Love the addition of fresh parsley.  Especially because I was able to buy Italian parsley…so fragrant.

IMG_1529

Simple ingredients…

IMG_1541IMG_1544

My first bouquet garni…bundle of herbs…

IMG_1545 IMG_1546

The pitfall to this recipe is that it takes some time.  I didn’t read the entire cooking process in advance and including prep it took more than two hours.  We didn’t eat until 8:30.

IMG_1565

But when we did, it was pretty tasty!! 

IMG_1564

(In looking at her post…wow…my pictures are awful in comparison!)

We think we’d add more herbs next time…but I’m betting that when we eat the leftovers tomorrow we may not feel that way anymore.  We loved the meatballs though! 

Enjoyed with this super fresh, soft, tasty and crusty multigrain Italian bread…and real buttah!

IMG_1562

For dessert you know I went back for the other half of that cupcake!  :) 

I think it’s going to be an early Saturday night…zzzzzzzz.

Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Pioneer Woman. I spent an entire night (seriously) reading her romance story (I forget what it's called..."High Heels and Tractor Wheels" or something?) about two years ago. Maybe one and a half years. I forget. I get a bit obsessed...

My current obsession is a homemaking blog I recently discovered. She posts some interesting-sounding vegetarian recipes (I'm not vegetarian, but I wouldn't mind having a vegetarian meal once in awhile), among other things.

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

Definitely drooling after this. Yummmm cupcakes!

Pioneer Woman is awesome. I can't decide if I like her photography or recipes more. I wish my attempts at making her recipes would come out as great as hers do!

OldGoogleAccount said...

I broke down. I bought the Lemon Liberte. And OMG I don't even care about the calories because one big heaping spoonful of the stuff is enough to make me happy. I'd rather do that than eat 100g of non fat faker stuff anyday.

I can actually get that Vegn stuff here. If you have a minute, drop by my blog or send me an email and let me know which ones are good. You can be my taste tester! :)