Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Hallowe’en!

IMG_6013

This is what I did while dinner was cooking last night. 

Monster Cookies!! 

I had already pre-baked the cookies on Thursday night, so last night was just the decorating…which is of course the fun part!

This recipe originally came from someone on the WW GDT.  I totally thought it was Shaunna, but she recently informed me that it wasn’t her!  ooops.  So whoever it was, thanks!! 

IMG_6014

Funny Monster Halloween Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp corn oil
  • candy corn candies
  • small tube white icing (for eyes)

Directions:

  1. Cream butter, powdered sugar and extracts.  Add flour and corn starch.  Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Place on ungreased baking sheet.  Flatten each cookies by pressing gently with fingers.
  4. Bake 10 – 12 minutes, just until bottoms are lightly browned.  Cool cookies on wire rack (let cool a bit on the pan until easy to remove with spatula).
  5. Let completely cool.  Overnight is best.
  6. Melt chocolate chips with oil over double boiler.  Stir until smooth.  Dip half of each cookie in chocolate.  Place cookies on wire rack or wax paper to allow chocolate to harden.  While chocolate is still wet, place candy corn for fangs and icing for eyes.
  7. Let dry.  Refrigerate to harden chocolate.

IMG_6007IMG_6009 IMG_6010IMG_6011 IMG_6012

Dinner was a two-course affair

Acorn squash.  Prepped by cutting in half, scooping out seeds, and baking cut side down in a glass baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water.  400 degrees for 20ish minutes.

IMG_5997 IMG_5998IMG_5999

I used one half.  Brushed lightly with butter, sprinkled with homemade Mexican seasoning, and broiled for about 5 minutes cut side up.  Served with salsa and light sour cream.

IMG_6006

While waiting for the squash to cook, I heated up a Guiltless Gourmet Four Bean Chili Wrap

IMG_6000 IMG_6002

Pretty yum, but I think I prefer Amy’s Burrito.  She’s got more goods inside the tortilla.

This morning I carved my jack-o-lantern.  Not my best work but we’ll see how it looks lit up on the front porch tonight.

T-minus 5 hours til the kiddies start knocking!

Pin It

6 comments:

OldGoogleAccount said...

Cute cookies!

Sorry about your neck. How frustrating!

Thought you would like to know that the fudge giveaway was a huge success. I even gave some to my mom and dad and they loved it. Just a few squares left for me but that's okay. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I love the cookies!

marie said...

I think it was Anne that made the cookies before.

Jen said...

How friggin cute are you???? Seriously, I love those!!!!

I hope we get some trick or treaters at our house tonight. We have a snowfall warning :(

Happy Halloween my lovely!

Angela Power said...

ADORABLE COOKIES!!

eurydice said...

it was meeeeeeeeee LOL.