Saturday, August 15, 2009

Scorcher

Finally, a crazy hot day!!  Like melt into the ground, sweat just standing there, wicked hot and fantastic!  Wooooo.

As mentioned last night, today was painting day.  Probably not the best idea to tackle a huge project like that in 30 degree heat, but oh well! 

It took WAY longer than we thought.  FH tackled the back deck, while I took to the front porch.  The spindles on the front stairs were a biatch!

IMG_3638

Started at 10am with a coffee and lots of water (and sunscreen!).

Around 11am snacked on the last of the fresh yellow plums.

IMG_3635

and an oatmeal raisin bar.

IMG_3641

At noon I needed an actual meal, so dished up some homemade potato salad (with a few pickles…I forgot to mention that I often put pickles in the salad but I left them out because FH isn’t a fan).

IMG_3645

More paint, paint, painting.  It took 4.5 hours just to finish the first coat!  I took a break for a cool shower and a trip to Home Depot for more paint and a ladder.  Made the obligatory stop at Starbucks for a much needed Iced Grande Vanilla Americano topped up with skim milk (OK, and a chocolate chip cookie…).

IMG_3646IMG_3647IMG_3650 

Once home I worked on finishing up the second coat of white…thankfully the spindles only needed one coat!  Poor FH had to do two coats of white out back because this is the first time the deck has ever been painted.  At least he didn’t have the rounded spindles to deal with though.

Then finally it was time for the dark stain on the actual porch and stairs.  So much faster!!  Completed the first coat by about 6:45pm and called it a night.  We ended up needing more stain to complete all of the work…hopefully in a couple of hours tomorrow morning.  I’m very pleased with it so far!!

IMG_3658

After another shower and change of clothes, I finally had a proper meal.  Starving and hot, I opted for a bigass salad.

Look at the giant romaine…this is the one I got at the farmer’s market last weekend.  Still fresh, crisp, and perfect.  :)

IMG_3659

In the big bowl: romaine, carrots, celery, tomato, red onion, broccoli

IMG_3660

Added Ranch dressing, more potato salad, and the last leftover turkey sausage.  Great meal for a hot and exhausting day.

IMG_3661 IMG_3662

Now we’re enjoying the evening with Season Two of Mad Men on DVD (been waiting months for this!!) and an icy cold ice creamy treat… :)

Pin It

4 comments:

K-Pow said...

I need to go have a nap just after reading that...lol

It all looks awesome though..good job!

I'll be making your potato salad today and I'm REALLY looking forward to it :)

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) said...

The paint job looks great! Good job.

I don't understand people who don't like pickles. How is that even possible? :P

rusty61 said...

What a day you had! Your porch looks amazing! I love the contrast of the white railing and dark floor.

Hope you're enjoying Mad Men -- I love that show too!

Angela Power said...

What an awesome way to spend the day! It certainly WAS a scorcher and I have no idea how you did that in that heat! I actually stayed INSIDE all day because it was so freaking hot!

That is a crazy coincidence because Hubs and I were just deciding on what we were going to paint the decks and we decided white spindles and railing and dark stain on the floor! lol Looks great! Great job!