Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Q & A

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair asked:

“I really like these posts you're doing! I'd love to hear more about how you achieve that balance. For example, do you have a treat once a week, or just whenever you get a craving etc.?”

Good question, Amber!  Honestly, I try not to put too much thought into it.  I found myself super stressing about what I was shoving in my mouth a lot of the time and it made my treats that much less enjoyable.  It also led to a lot of binging if I deprived myself.  Not fun.  Once I was able to take a step back, relax, and realize that treats aren’t the end of the world it actually made it easier to not want them all the time.

As a general rule I try to stick to my clean, healthy eating during the week (especially during the day) and save my indulgences for the weekends.  Obviously this doesn’t always work because things come up, but most of the time it does.

On the days that I do know that we’ll be enjoying some cocktails, or hitting a fabulous restaurant, or just kicking back with some ice cream I make an effort to keep the rest of my daily menu healthier.  Example:  huge salad for lunch yesterday, knowing I’d be enjoying some dessert with friends last night.  :)  When time allows, I will also throw in some extra calorie burning to “earn” the anticipated indulgence.

This process is what works for me.  It may not be for everyone, but it is worth a try to achieve some balance.

signature

Pin It

7 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks for answering my question! You put it into great perspective and that is absolutely what I'm trying to achieve, I need to NOT be so concerned about treats and just go with the flow.

I'm working on it and hopefully it will come with time!!

Kelly said...

Thanks for answering this question! I tend to feel so horrible when I do have treats, that I don't enjoy them as much and then after a few weeks I just cave in and have too much that I shouldn't. I should really do it the way you mentioned! :)

Trainer Shauna said...

I love that you have a Q&A on your blog! Great tips btw!!

Lauren said...

Hi Jaime - long-time lurker, first-time poster. :) Can you email me the Glo Bar recipe? I was about to try them when she took the recipe off her site. (lillowen@hotmail.com) Thanks so much!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

Totally hear ya on NEEDING the starbucks -- sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do ;)

Obviously I totally agree with your philosophy on balance - SO important! ;)

Nadia said...

another first time poster here! If you need some recommendations on what to do in winnipeg, let me know! I also missed printing angela's recipe before she pulled it, would you mind emailing me? (nadia.pawlosky at gmail dot com)
thanks!

Sue said...

Hi Jaime, can you email me the recipe. I think I have it mostly remembered...

slehman1@telus.net

Big thanks!