Monday, March 23, 2009

Grumpy Muffins

A new week usually puts me in a pretty good mood...however, since I fell down the damn stairs first thing Saturday morning I've been kind of grumpy. It comes and goes, but I'm definitely feeling off. Yesterday, FH got himself a new toy (computer) so he spent a fair bit of the day tinkering with that and cleaning up his room (teeny tiny rec room is his "office"/guitar room) so I just puttered around and had some me time. Good timing because the best thing for a cranky me is some alone time. I shopped, I read, I tidied, I cooked, I baked. I was hoping this would get me going for today, but I'm still working out of that funk.

My baking was a success though. I used this awesome Banana Oatmeal Muffin recipe. Somehow I only got ten muffins though....must've been overzealous when filling the cups. I made four straight up, three with coconut, and three with mini peanut butter chips. Yummy!




This morning FH actually had to go to work so I got up to drive him in so I could go to the gym and see how my tailbone injury would fair. I started on the treadmill....mostly just walking but changing the speeds and inclines to keep it interesting. At 15 mins I decided to try running and managed to do so for a straight five minutes.....I think the key was that I ran at a slower, even pace (5mph vs my usual 5.4 or 5.6). The running actually hurt less than the walking because my strides were smaller. I finished up with five more minutes of walking. I'll try a bit more running tomorrow. Because my calories burned were a lot lower doing this I hopped on the elliptical for 20 minutes as well. Total cardio = 45 minutes, 350+ cals burned. Tried to follow with bum and ab exercises, but I'm definitely going to have to come up with something different in that department. Regular crunches were OK up to about the first 10 or so, but my reverse crunches and v-sits were a total no-go. Even planks were hard because flexing hurt my bum crack. Argh.

If it's not one thing, it's another!

I'll keep working through the funk by making a bigass stirfry for dinner and maybe sorting through my tax papers (I have a ton of receipts and stuff to organize). Maybe read a little more New Moon and play some cards with FH. I'd like to try a calming session of yoga, but I'm guessing that would just bring on some extra pain and frustration so I'll tough through and try again another day.

Today's eats...

- coffeeeeeeeeeee
- strawberries, ff vanilla yogurt, All Bran
- plum
- tossed salad w/ artichokes, deli turkey & pickles
- banana muffin
- chicken stirfry
- 1/2 apple & pb
- tea Pin It

7 comments:

eurydice said...

flexing hurt your bum crack? i'm sorry but did you ever imagine yourself writing that when you started your blog? hehehe seriously though i hope the pain goes away soon.

farm girl. said...

ummm...can you read just a little bit of new moon? i haven't gotten mine yet, but i'm thinking i don't have that kind of restraint....

hope the tailbone feels better soon - when i was "much" younger, i damaged mine going down the stairs on a crazy carpet, and hitting the corner of the halfwall with me tailbone - OUCH!

Julie said...

You are a genius!! I never thought of PB chips in those muffins. Brilliant!!!!

Bec said...

pb chips in your muffins, such a good idea!

Jen said...

aw, I hope you feel better soon and feel more like yourself!!!
I am hoping to get out of a funk pretty quick too!!! I am ALMOST there!

Angela Power said...

Take it easy lady til your bum heels :-D

Those muffins look delish and what a great idea topping them differently for variety in the same batch!

JavaChick said...

Hang in there. Once you are all healed up, you'll be able to get back to your regular routine.