Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I don't even like Jell-o!

Why did we buy a house that is ALL stairs?

Yes, I topped off last night's fab workout with another one today. I know I shouldn't do two days in a row, but I was determined to get back on schedule right away. No excuses for falling off the new schedule! My legs are like stiff jello now....wobble wobble. Hopefully I don' t just wobble right over and down the stairs!

So I got up a bit early and got an hour of work in, then with nothing pressing to be done immediately I got into my gym gear and headed out. (Yes, I ate a bowl of cereal first!) I did 22 mins of HIIT on the elliptical (5 min warm up, 15 mins of 30:30 sprints, 2 min cooldown). Followed it up with my new strength training routine - minus one thing because I ran out of time. I think my new routine might be a bit too long for everyday workouts...so I'll just remove one different thing each time....just to mix it up a bit.

My plan is to do HIIT on M-W-F, each day using a different machine. On those same days I will do a variation of the strength training plan I've created for myself. On Tues & Thurs I will do 60 minutes of cardio...split between 2 or 3 machines...plus either extra crunches, squats or lunges. Sat and Sun I'm either going to try out the gym's yoga classes or if the weather is good go for a long walk and/or bike ride. Plus any other walks or bike rides I can get in during weeknight evenings.

I felt it today. Like, really felt it. Those lunges are awesome! I have to say that my butt never ever felt like it had been worked out with any of the exercises my trainer gave me, so after searching online I decided that lunges looked like a great all round exercise for the glutes and everything around them. Sure enough, they are. Sometimes I actually wonder if my trainer knew what she was doing. She worked me hard but I really never felt like I was targeting any of the areas I had asked for. Maybe I just didn't like the exercises she opted to give, and therefore wasn't seeing the results because I wasn't pushing myself? Oh, who knows. But for now I'm loving the lunges....even if I do feel like I might fall right over after I'm done.

Today's menu is produce heavy to make up for skipping my veggies last night....

- Special K vanilla almond/cinnamon pecan mixed together with vanilla Almond Breeze (pre-gym)
- Starbucks Double Shot on Ice w/ vanilla (2 points!)
- PC BM bagel with tomato slices and light cheddar grilled under the broiler
- raw cauliflower & baby carrots with hummus
- grapes
- pineapple
- bigass Greek salad w/ light feta, grilled Greek marinated shrimp, fresh focaccia bread (can't wait!)
- fresh berries with Liberte vanilla yogurt (I stocked up on fresh raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)

Plus I still have a few APs if I feel like a granola bar or Lifestyle cookies or something.

If my legs will let me, I'll go for a neighborhood walk later today too since the sun is out but it's not crazy hot.

Whew! Pin It

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I am so glad you have your exercise mojo back!! Your exercise routine looks amazing and I might just copy it myself! I know I need to be doing more weights. Lunges and squats are my favorite for lower body, you get SUCH a good workout and you can even do them while your watching TV! In fact, I'm making a goal to get mine done tonight...thanks for the motivation.

I'm hoping to come over to Halifax sometime in the next 2 months or so. I haven't really planned it out yet but Hubby and I were thinking of getting away for a few nights and staying in a B&B there. It's only 3.5 hours away. How fun would it be to meet up for dinner? We could obsess over the menu together! haha I'll keep you posted on any plans we make!

Healthy Pear said...

Your determination is through the roof these days! Wow!
I always remember Jillian Michaels from the "Biggest Loser" saying that if you want to tone and firm up fast, you have to do lunges. Seems like she's right!

I'm also loving Special K vanilla and almond cereal these days. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the new pecan and cinnamon flavour at our supermarket yet. (I LOVE cinnamon!). Is it really good?.

Cat said...

That is so awesome! I'm glad you feel so great about your work-outs, you totally deserve to feel this way!!

Mark Salinas said...

Fun reads here....good job with the work outs! :)

Marissa said...

Lunges and squats are amazing for your legs. Particularly lunges...they seem to hit every muscle in your legs.

Tiffa said...

Hey! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I appreciate the support. Sounds like exercise is going awesome for you! Hopefully no more blood sugar drops on the horizon (or whatever happened :S)