Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Personal Trainer Recap - Day 2 of 5

Last night I had my second session with my Fitness Coach. This was the session where she designed my first strength training routine. Of course, because I want to build up my cardio as well, she had me start out with that.

Oh how I already despise interval sprinting! haha. We decided to use the Cross Trainer since we used the treadmill last time. It's good because I haven't found new shoes for the gym yet (that's a whole other story!) and the ones I'm wearing aren't great for actual running. She had me set the machine at 2 levels higher than I would normally set it, and we went with the random course so there would be lots of hills. Oh yippppeee! haha.

So, 5 minute warm-up, followed by 30 second sprints as fast as I can, with 1:30 minute recovery periods maintaining a decent speed. By the end of the 20 minutes my lungs were hurting but not too bad....it was my legs turning to jello because of the hills that were causing me a problem. But I did it! 2 miles in 20 minutes! I'll take it. She wants me to keep doing that every workout and eventually shorten the recovery time, then later lengthen the sprint times. Hopefully I can keep up the motivation on my own....

As for the strength training, it's actually less than I thought....but I can see that if I spend the time to do the full three sets that it all makes sense. My weight levels were lower than I expected too, but again I can see how it all works when doing three full sets. (I meant to bring home the card with the routine on it so I could tell you all about it, but I forgot....so I'll write it up tomorrow after attempting it all by myself!) Mainly it's with the bigger strength machines, but one exercise is with the bosu ball...which I love because my balance is pretty bad, so it will really work my core. That's what it's really all about for me, is core, core, core....and firming my tushy!

So for the next two weeks, I'm on my own to see how I do. Then I'll meet up with her again to make sure it's going well. At that time she is going to add one or two more exercises to the routine, and also give me an alternate routine to use so that I don't get bored and my body doesn't acclimatize itself to the same old exercises. I'm supposed to change it up every four to six weeks.

The sessions feel a little rushed and I am left with a few questions about cardio, but I can call her after I've tried it a few times on my own, so I am going to get through this week and see how I feel.

Wish me luck! Pin It

1 comment:

Jen said...

That’s awesome! It sounds like you are really liking it! (Except the sprints…and I am sure you can find the motivation to keep them up…I do them, and it kind of makes it go by faster because I am always waiting for my next “recovery time”)

I LOVE the Bosu!!! I watched a guy on there a couple of weeks ago who stood on one while throwing a tennis ball at the wall (he eventually worked up to standing on a full ball!!!!) and then he was doing sit ups on them and push ups…yeah and then he was doing ONE LEGGED squats on it!!!! I couldn’t believe it!!! I lose my balance every once in a while doing regular two legged squats, ON THE FLOOR!!!