Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Impromptu Gym Trip

Yup, that's right...you heard me....Impromptu trip to the gym! Activity NSV for me!

Instead of eating my lunch at my computer today, I decided that I would head to the grocery store to grab a few things and get some fresh air. Since it's too windy to walk anywhere I was feeling a little guilty about no activity. Then, while putting on my mascara I got this burst of inspiration and decided to go to the gym while I was out. It's my day off for strength training, but who says I can't do cardio?!

So.... using my trusty iPod, I tried out the first episode of Couch to 5k on the cross-trainer (I still don't have proper running shoes for the treadmill, plus I can move faster on the cross-trainer). That was 5 minute warm-up, then 1 minute interval runs (8.5mph) and 1:30 minute recovery walks (5.5mph) for a total of about 25 minutes. I skipped the cool down at the end because I was going straight to my other machine.

Next I decided to try incline intervals, so over to the treadmill I went. I did a quick 1 minute warm up, then ramped it up to an incline of 12 for 5 minutes intervals, with 2 minute recoveries at an incline of 5. I did this for 20 minutes, then cooled down for 3 minutes.

To finish up the hour, I rode the recumbant bike for 10 minutes at level 5 on random. Finished this with a 3 minute cool down.

According to the machines I burned close to 400 calories today. Woooohoooo! Not bad for my day off!

(Of course, now I'm way behind in work so I should get to it!) Pin It

5 comments:

Jen said...

*laughs* I love your little disclaimer at the end!!!

That is so friggin amazing!!!! You are rocking the gym SOOOO much!!!

Julie said...

Way to go! I'm happy to see you are enjoying the gym!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's fantastic! Great job!

eurydice said...

whoa - how can you walk at 5.5 mph! that's really really REALLY fast haha! and 8.5 is a seriously superfast run. you really are a bionic woman!

Jaime said...

Eury, it's because it's on the cross-trainer...so different than the treadmill.