Monday, August 31, 2009

Recipe: Choco-Cranberry-Almond Granola Bars

So I had the last third of the bottle of brown rice syrup left and needed to find something to do with it.  Not really knowing anything about cooking with it, and too lazy to look anything up, I decided just to modify my Sticky Bar recipe and see what I could throw together.

009

Best.Combo.Yet.

Chocolate Cranberry Almond No-Bake Granola Bars

Ingredients:

- 1.5 cups whole oats

- 1/2 cup dried cranberries

- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped and toasted almonds

- 2 x 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

- 1/4 cup ground flax

- big sprinkle cinnamon

- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup

- 1 tsp butter

- 1 tsp real vanilla extract

Directions:

- coarsely chop almonds.  toast on a baking sheet in oven until fragrant and toasty.

031

- heat syrup and butter in small sauce pan over medium-heat until bubbling.  stir frequently and let boil for a couple of minutes.

- while waiting for syrup to bubble, mix all dry ingredients (except for second 1/4 cup of choco chips) in a big mixing bowl.

- once syrup has boiled for a few minutes, stir into dry ingredients.

- press mixture firmly into greased (sprayed) small square cake pan.  sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips, press firmly again.

034

- put pan in freezer until totally chilled and firm.  pop entire thing onto cutting board and cut into 12 pieces with big knife.  store in refrigerator. 

036

Yummy for the tummy!!

037

Pin It

17 comments:

Maria said...

I am not much of a granola bar girl, but these look extraordinary! The photos are lovely, too.

Does the brown rice syrup help make such pristine layers of oats?

Rebecca said...

Good job on the innovation!

Jaime said...

Maria, they are very chewy and soft...so not so much of a traditional "granola" bar.

I am not sure if it's the syrup that gives that look, or more likely the "firm pressing" into the pan. :) Brown rice syrup basically works the same as corn syrup, but it's better for you.

Anonymous said...

YUM!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I am SO making a batch of these this weekend!

skinny me! said...

These look super yummy...did you calculate the points value for them at all?

Jaime said...

Unfortunately I'm no longer a WW member so new recipes don't get calculated. But maybe I could convince one of my Haliblogger buddies to do it? *wink wink, nudge nudge ladies!!

Nicci said...

I think you should have a giveaway, so I can win your granola bars! lol they look yummy! :)

Unknown said...

Your bars look great. I wanna try. Were do you get brown rice syrup?

Jaime said...

Mora, brown rice syrup can be found in the natural foods section of most grocery stores. The one I've used is made by Lundberg. If you aren't overly concerned about it, you can probably use corn syrup instead.

Karen said...

These look amazing!

I am always on the lookout for new bars and am getting really sick of all the ones I find at the store. Plus, the ingredients list on some of those things are scary!

I'd love to try and make my own sometime!

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

I'm in love!!! These look fantastic! On the "must try" list!

eurydice said...

maybe you should start your own bakery ;)

Judi said...

I am making these today, they look so good.

And FYI, the WW Points Value is 4, based on 12 servings.

Unknown said...

I wonder if you could use agave for this?!?!?

They look out of this world amazing!!

Kimberly said...

Loved them! my review here http://weatethat.blogspot.com/2010/03/granola-bars.html

Anonymous said...

I also LOVED these, unfortanetly mine didnt stick together very well even after the firm pressing and freezing them! I think its because i subbed in 100% pure maple syrup instead of Brown Rice Syrup, I could not find any Brown Rice Syrup in my grocery store.. grrr... anyways they had amazing flavor still!!
Thanks for the great recipe!