Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Winnipeg: Ice Cream

On our first whole day of vacation we spent the majority of the day outside.  Hello glorious sun!  Due to this lovely feeling of actual Summer (as opposed to the gloomy non-Summer we left in Halifax) a trip for ice cream was in order.

I give you Winnipeg’s own Bridge Drive-In (affectionately known as the BDI).  Old school vintage ice cream stand.  Perfect.

067074068070

I loves me some soft serve.  I’m a simple gal.  Medium twist cone.  Nothing fancy for me.

071

Fun anecdote…  FH’s little man had himself a tiny chocolate cone.  We learned quickly that a 5 year old and a cone don’t mix well.  haha.  He couldn’t lick it fast enough and the sun was melting it too quickly.  I did what any good “mom” would do and licked up all the drips for him…and when I handed it back and FH and I were busy chatting, the little man let go and dropped it smack on my flip-flop clad foot.  LOL.  Ha.  Welcome to “motherhood” right?

Of course, little man didn’t even care.  He just shared his Dad’s instead.

073

This place was so good I got FH to take us back there again later in the week. Deeeee-freaking-lish.

Treats were the theme of the week.  We also enjoyed a trip to Marble Slab where I totally overindulged.  (I might add that the perfect soft serve was only $2 at the BDI and this monstrosity was like $8!)

 305  307

This is my incredibly decadent birthday cake ice cream mixed with Smarties and brownie pieces in a white chocolate and sprinkle dipped waffle cone.  Glad I tried it, but I felt ill after.  Over-freaking-load.

304

Damn, now I want more ice cream. 

*runs off to find soft serve deliciousness in Halifax*

Pin It

11 comments:

Bec said...

that birthday cake ice cream creation sounds amazing!!!!!!!!

Julie said...

That ice cream looks delish! WOW!

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) said...

I freaking love BDI.

Syl said...

Ice cream looks really good, I have learned to share with my son that way I don't have the "sick tummy" feeling, glad you treated yourself.

OldGoogleAccount said...

BDI is amazing. Sometimes the line-ups are 8 people deep at each window. Way to find the best ice cream in Winnipeg! Very resourceful!

Unknown said...

Yum......

So cute about the little one dropping his cone..and what an awesome pic of FH sharing....so adorable.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I think a trip to Marble Slab Creamery is in order for my birthday. :o)

Anonymous said...

I love marble slab! The first kind I ever tried was birthday cake with pieces of chocolate cake mixed in. SO good!

-Tarilyn

Becki said...

The birthday cake ouce cream is my favourite!!
I have it with graham crackers, chocolate chips and mini-marshmallow's a la S'more!

Lex said...

Oohh I have heard amazing things about Marble Slab... I am going to have to seek it out in Edmonton!!!!

eurydice said...

cake flavour ice cream is my favourite! lucky girl!