Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!

The mood to bake strikes me at the weirdest times.  Like last night when I already had a zillion things on the go.  LOL.  But I’d had the ingredients on hand for this recipe since I got back from Winnipeg and I was dying to give it a go. 

Blueberry Chia Muffins.  Nicole from Another One Bites the Crust offered up this recipe as a guest post a few weeks back and I knew right away I wanted to try them.  Nothing better than a good blueberry muffin!!

Fun tidbit from this recipe:  ch-ch-ch-Chia!  hehe, do you remember those commercials?  Yes , Chia Pets are actually chia sprouts!!  I always wanted one when I was a kid.  Who knew that I’d grow up to cook with the stuff?!

 

[From Wikipedia]: Chia seeds typically contain 20% protein, 34% oil, 25% dietary fiber, and significant levels of antioxidants. The oil from chia seeds contains a very high concentration of omega-3 fatty acid. Chia seeds contain no gluten and trace levels of sodium.

This was my first time using chia seeds.  They are kinda neat.  :)  Dry they look like extra coarse pepper or incredibly tiny poppy seeds.  Wet they become gelatin-like.  I licked my finger and the wet version was slightly sweet.

009 010   

The muffins are incredibly moist and tasty.  (Mine are slightly undercooked…but no one will care but me!).  I gobbled one up as soon as they cooled, then packed up a couple for tomorrow and froze the rest.  I’m excited to have these waiting for me when I return from my weekend away.  Yum Yum!!

014016015

(Go have a look at the photos on the recipe post…Nicole is a FABULOUS photographer!)

Pin It

8 comments:

Jen said...

THANK YOU! I was SERIOUSLY wondering if those were the same things!!! And everything someone mentioned them I would think the "ch-ch-ch-chia" diddy in my head!!!

MMMM, I think Danny would love me forever if I made those...if he hadn't already sworn to do so at our wedding...

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) said...

Haha, that jingle pops into my head every time I see the word "chia"...which is a LOT lately!

Angela Power said...

Oh yeah lady thanks for the awesome song in my head now! lol

Glad to hear the muffins are great! I am now making a list of "must bakes" when I get that stiken mood :-)

OldGoogleAccount said...

Will you please come cook for me? Everything you eat looks amazing. I'm craving salad with chick peas now! Not sure if I will be able to find chia seeds in my neck of the woods but I'll keep my eyes open.

Jennifer said...

Ohh, those muffins look soooo good! :D

Bec said...

bah yes my roomate and I hate a 'pet' chia pet this year in our apt!

Nicole said...

I am so glad you like them!!!

~Melanie said...

Made these! They were sooo good. I used mixed berries instead of blueberries though because I wasn't picking one cup out of the bag! LOL!