Sunday, June 21, 2009

Helping Fight the Evil Powers of Prostate Cancer

FH feels very strongly that prostate cancer doesn’t get the publicity for awareness that it deserves (rightly so!), so this year we are walking in the Safeway Father’s Day Walk for Prostate Cancer.

Prostate Walk

Did you know:

  • Prostate cancer is the number one cancer threat to Canadian men.
  • One in every six men will be diagnosed with the disease in his lifetime and this is expected to rise to one in four within a decade.
  • In 2008, 24 700 Canadian men were diagnosed with prostate cancer, compared to 22 400 women diagnosed with breast cancer, with similar mortality rates.
  • In contrast, the Government of Canada allocated $183.5 million of taxpayer's dollars for site specific cancer research, with breast cancer receiving $48.4 million vice only $16.8 million allocated to prostate cancer research.

Astounding, right?

I didn’t come on here announcing this before now because I just spent three weeks harassing you all to donate to the Canadian Cancer Society when I did the Relay for Life.  But if you feel as strongly as FH about supporting Prostate Cancer research efforts, then please visit his pledge site and offer a donation.  (It’s worth having a look just because his write-up is well written.)

This post is going up as we are doing the 5km walk here in Halifax.  We have a group of very good friends doing the run in Victoria in memory of two of their fathers that were taken by this terrible disease.  Wish us luck!  (it’s raining as I type this…)

Pin It

2 comments:

Angela Power said...

I think it's fantastic that you guys participated in it, especially if FH feels that there needs to be more awareness. Good for you guys! Unfortunately I'm all tapped out financially right now...too much TO spending and moving!

Crystal said...

I agree, there needs to be much more awareness out there. My grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer twice in his life, the first time we had hopped that the treatment worked and he wouldn't have to deal with it again. Unfortunately the prostate cancer came back and eventually took his life. Thankfully my father and his brothers get checked on a yearly basis!!

I wish I could contribute some money but I'm broke at the present time!!