Thursday, April 30, 2009

Product Review - Hemp Milk

I know you've all been waiting for this review. Sorry for the delay. I wanted to try the hemp milk in a few different situations before passing judgement....because upon first sip I wasn't too excited to run over and tell you all about it.


I tried Living Harvest Hempmilk in Vanilla. I opted for the vanilla because that's my favorite in anything, and I went with the sweetened version because I thought it would be easier to compare to soy milk or Almond Breeze.


You all should know that I only go for milk alternatives because it's fun and some of them taste good...especially on cereal. I'm really a milk girl...a skim milk girl...and still crave me a glass of icy cold milk on a regular basis. I've mainly stuck with Almond Breeze because the unsweetened vanilla version is extra low in calories and makes a nice treat for cooking/baking/cereal/oatmeal. Soy milk has been making a regular appearance too because FH was using it for smoothies, as a way to get more healthy protein and omegas into his diet.


Anyway....Hempmilk, my review...


Upon first taste I thought it was chalky and maybe a bit bitter. Definitley not something I would enjoy straight up. Next up, I tried it over some sliced bananas. Still too chalky and didn't like how it sort of separated in the bowl...I felt like I had to keep slooshing my bananas around. Third time's a charm...cereal of course! Poured this over some Kashi Go Lean Crunch and it was fantastic. I guess it just needed something rough enough to mask the odd, chalky texture and maybe the extra sweetness of the cereal mixed with the hempy goodness to make this work for me. One out of three ain't bad? Um, well it ain't good either.


Nutrition wise, Hempmilk is a powerhouse. From their website:


What's in a Glass?

- 800 mg Omega-3 with SDA
- 2600 mg of Omega-6 with GLA
- All 10 Essential Amino Acids
- 4 g Digestible Protein
- Vitamins A, B12, D, E, Riboflavin & Folic Acid
- Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron & Zinc
- 40% Daily Value of Calcium

Awesome. However, for the difference between this and all the other options out there for milk and alternatives, I doubt this will become a common item in my refrigerator. It was considerably more expensive than Almond Breeze, and it's limited use as only a cereal topper leaves me thinking it isn't worth it. I can get my omegas and aminos from my healthy diet and daily vitamins.


Sorry Living Harvest, this one just didn't do it for me. I'm anxious to try other hempalicious products though so I will certainly keep my eyes (and mind!) open for more trials. Pin It

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Your brave to try this girl!

ElleBee said...

Thanks for the review, I've been meaning to try it myself. I'm not a fan of chalky liquid either ;(

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said...

Great review! I've never tried hemp milk, but I love almond and soy milk!

Angela Power said...

I was a girl who would never deviate from regular skim milk when I wanted a drink because nothing ever compared to it. That is until I started with the unsweetened vanilla almond breeze. I LOVE IT and I can drink it right out of the carton and almond breeze is the ONLY kind I've ever liked. I haven't bought skim milk in a while now actually! We keep chocolate milk around for hubby, so I just take a swig of that if i need a fix! Thanks for the review!