Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Recipe: Modified Hungry Girl 'Skinny Dip'

I always make something new for our little get-togethers....this time I wanted something that didn't involve turning the oven on....and conveniently I had received a Hungry Girl email earlier in the week for this yummy Spinach Artichoke Dip.

She always uses fat-free everything, but I'm not a fan of most totally fat-free stuff (plus you can't get a lot of it here) so this is my modification.

1 pack frozen chopped spinach (10 oz), thawed and drained very well
1 can artichoke hearts (14 oz) packed in water, drained very well and roughly chopped
1/2 of 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 container low-fat cream cheese (8 oz), room temp
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup light mayo
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (I used the real thing instead of the fake grated stuff she recommends....make all the difference in the world)
3 tbsp minced shallots
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes would work too)

Combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayo & 3 tbsp of the parmesan. Add salt & cayenne. Stir until smooth. Set aside.

Saute the shallots and garlic in a non-stick pan with cooking spray over medium heat until soft. (I added a splash of water to help them along.) Set aside.

To the creamy mixture add the spinach, artichokes, water chestnuts & garlic/shallot mixture. Stir well.

Taste and add extra salt or pepper if desired. It says to top the dip with the rest of the parmesan, but I just mixed it all in. :)

You can also serve this hot by transferring it to a casserole dish and baking @ 350 for 30 mins.


Carolyn: I don't know the points because I don't have a WW membership anymore. The original Hungry Girl version was 2 points for 1/3 cup. This is probably 3 points....maybe 4.
Pin It

3 comments:

tash said...

Sounds delicious! I'll have to make this soon - thanks for the recipe.

TobyLauren said...

Mm, that looks good! I tried one that had spinach, artichokes and canned asparagus to bulk it up (without the calories), and it was really great. I think the basic one was from Kraft, and I modified it.

Lovin your blog - you should add mine to your list! Ciao for now...

Pheonix said...

mmmmm that sounds DEVINE! I tried the Eat Shrink And Be Merry artichoke dip over the weekend called "The Choke's On YOu" and it was pretty good too!

Hey, how's poochie doing? :)