Monday, November 05, 2012

Motivated Monday

I had a run of blog posts about Embracing Mondays a while back.  In which I would wake up with full enthusiasm for the week ahead...with a workout plan and a menu full of healthy meals.  I still have those thoughts on Mondays but the motivation wanes by Wednesday and my desire to think about cooking or making healthy choices is all but totally gone by Friday.  All I can think about is a fat glass of red wine, and curling up on the couch for 36 hours straight.

IMG_2465

This weekend I had a little meltdown about this. 

I knew going in to my new job that I would probably struggle with maintaining balance, but my decision to keep my other job multiplied that situation exponentially.  I hadn’t taken into account the amount of time I was losing.  The time I would spend meal planning and preparing, recipe perusing, Tweeting, blogging, blog reading, and working out, is GONE.

Without spending a lot of time here whining about the situation, I decided that I just need to acknowledge that my days have changed and I need a new game plan.  Just giving up and going for convenience eating, giving in to cravings for unhealthy treats, and completely ignoring any form of working out is not me.  And after three months it hit me emotionally.

So I asked Michael to be my support buddy, I worked my brain around eating the same things for lunch all week to save time with batch prep, and I made a super simple at-home workout schedule.  That’s it.  Those three things are what will save me from myself.

Oh, and I told the girls at the office that I will be avoiding any and all snacks that I didn’t plan for.  That place is a sweet lover’s paradise (or hell!). 

WIAT_Nov5

What I ate today (and will eat tomorrow!):

  • Green Smoothie inspired by #CLEANrestart – ice, banana, spinach, vanilla protein powder, flax meal, coconut oil, unsweetened vanilla coconut milk, unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • Coffee with almond milk.
  • Light Rye Wasa with TJ’s Sunflower Butter.
  • Quinoa with roasted root veggies, wilted spinach, and goat cheese.
  • Grapes.  Almonds.
  • Scrambled eggs with yellow pepper, red onion, spinach, black beans, ground turkey sausage, cheddar, salsa and avocado.  With whole grain toast.
  • Organic strawberries over plain yogurt with hemp hearts & grated dark chocolate.

All things healthy, quick to prepare, and easy to duplicate for another day or two.  And above all…delicious!

And now…the stretches my chiropractor gave me for core strengthening and a round of upper body weight training.  Thanks for listening…if anyone is still out there.  :)

Pin It

4 comments:

Kim said...

This is exactly what I was hoping to find with my few minutes before I need to get ready for work. I am totally. off. track. I don't know how this happened, but it has to stop.

Thank you for sharing your struggle! Hope your week goes well.

Ang said...

I think sharing your struggle with keeping things balanced is perfect for everyone who reads it - it's important to know nobody's perfect!

This post is so reminiscent of your older posts. I love it! I look forward to reading more. :D

JavaChick said...

Good luck with your new plan! I struggle to keep up with things and I only have one job; can't imagine how I'd survive with two!

Angela Power said...

I think your plan is a great one. I don't know how the week ended up turning out, but you hit the nail on the head. When time is truly limited, variety is truly a luxury - i.e. having a new and different recipe every day for lunch and/or dinner is hard (not to mention expensive!) to pull off. Your meal plan for the week sounds truly awesome though!

For me, my lunch hour truly is a time that I try to make count. Whether it's used to exercise, grocery shop or run errands, it's an entire hour I get to myself to accomplish something I won't really get the chance to do at any other time of the work week.

God help us entering into the holiday season where treats are o' plenty!