Friday, June 22, 2012

Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Bars

So last week I found that one of things that kept me from snacking my face off all afternoon was having a selection of snack bars on hand.  During the gap between lunch and dinner I would help myself to a Kind bar, or Larabar, or some such healthy treat.

IMG_7116

The problem with those bars is they eat up my grocery budget in a hurry so I opted to raid my cupboards and put a couple of homemade snacks into rotation instead.  After putting together a batch of my Choco-Cranberry Granola Bars I decided to try my hand at a chocolate and peanut butter combination as well.  Because, I mean really, how can you beat choco-PB?!

IMG_7119

Chocolate-Bottomed Roasted Peanut Bars

Yields 12 squares

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 tsp canola or coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup peanuts
  • 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
  • 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • pinch coarse sea salt

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spread peanuts out on a shallow baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes until lightly browned.  Transfer peanuts to cutting board and chop coarsely.  Set aside.
  2. In a medium sauce pan, heat brown rice syrup and peanut butter. Bring to a light boil, stirring until peanut butter melts. Keep warm.
  3. In either the microwave, or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and oil together.  Stirring frequently until smooth.
  4. Add oatmeal, roasted peanuts and pinch of salt to syrup mixture.  Stir until all ingredients combined.
  5. On a parchment lined baking sheet evenly spread melted chocolate in a rectangle against one end of the pan (approx 3-4 inches wide).  Top chocolate layer with oatmeal mixture and use an extra piece of parchment to firmly press bars together using your hands to form a flat edge on the open side.
  6. Place bars in freezer for approximately 20 minutes to set.  Transfer chilled bar to cutting board and cut into 12 squares. 
  7. Keep refrigerated.

IMG_7112

MyFitnessPal brings these little treats in at 120 calories each. Assuming you can eat just one they make a perfect mid-afternoon pick me up.  Or late night TV snack.  Or tasty little pairing for morning coffee.  Enjoy!

choco_peanut_bars

Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of making your own bars. I def have to try.

Anonymous said...

holy cow, those look awesome! love the choc bottom!