Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cool Nights, Warm Soup

The weather around here the last few weeks has not indicated anything about Summer being on it’s way.  Sure, we have had a few sporadic days of lovely sun but they are always followed by like a week of grey skies and chilly air.  What is up with that?

asian_chicken_soup (12)

Due to this Autumn-like weather, the cat and I have been spending mass quantities of evening couch time rewatching almost all six seasons of Gilmore Girls on DVD.  Yes, we know how to live life over here!  Nothing says comfort like a cozy blanket, a purring kitty, and four back-to-back episodes of Lorelai and Rory hijinks.

Well, and soup.

asian_chicken_soup (7)

After three days of grilled cheese sandwiches to accompany my comfort TV I got a craving for vegetables.  Shocker I know.  But a salad wasn’t going to fit the comfort food profile.  I needed something warm and savoury to satisfy my craving.

I spent about 10 minutes channelling my inner Gilmore Girl, trying to decide if I should head on over to my favourite Vietnamese place for Chicken Noodle Pho to go.  But my pocket book brought me back to reality.  How hard could it be to whip up something comforting, Pho inspired, and reasonably priced? 

asian_chicken_soup (3)

Asian Inspired Chicken and Vegetable Noodle Soup

Yields 4 servings

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock (or 1 900ml container)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into bite-sized strips
  • 1 clove garlic, grated
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
  • pinch of red chili flakes
  • 1/2 cup carrots, matchsticks
  • 1/2 cup red pepper, strips
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cups Asian greens (I used baby bok choy), roughly chopped
  • lime juice to taste
  • handful fresh basil, chopped (or cilantro)
  • 2 cups prepared vermicelli rice noodles

Directions:

  1. In a large stock pot, bring 2 cups chicken stock and 1 cup water to a simmer over medium heat.  Add chicken, garlic, ginger and chili flakes.  Return to simmer and cook until chicken is poached through…approximately 5-7 minutes.
  2. Add remaining chicken stock, water, carrots, red pepper, and any thicker parts of Asian greens.  Simmer 2 minutes or until veggies soften slightly. 
  3. Add softer Asian greens and green onion.  Continue simmering just until wilted.  Remove pot from heat, add squeeze of lime and stir in basil.
  4. To serve: add serving of prepared vermicelli noodles to bowl; ladle soup over noodles.

According to MyFitnessPal a serving of this soup without the noodles is only a measly 150 calories!  So don’t feel bad about adding the noodles, even if they are a little calorie dense (approx. 175 calories per 1/4 cup).  The noodles are the comforting part! :)

asian_chicken_soup (6)

This soup ended up being one of my favourite things I have created in ages!  It turned out exactly as I had hoped, saved me a few bucks, and provided the veggies and comfort food I was craving.

I’m sure Lorelai would be disappointed in me for using my stove, but this is a disappointment I can live with.

asian_chicken_soup (10)

Now, when the heck is Parenthood coming back on?

And how do we feel about Rory appearing on Mad Men?

Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only would Lorelai be disappointed that you used your stove, she would be horrified that you ate so many vegetables!