Tuesday, June 19, 2012

10 things that keep me sane on a diet

I don’t know about you, but when I’m on my ‘diet’ game I owe a lot of it to being organized, planning ahead, and knowing what works for me.  My grocery lists become a little more static as I ensure that my arsenal of ‘safe’ and ‘helpful’ foods make their way into the house each week.

I thought I’d share a few of my favourite things to keep on hand to help ensure a less snacky, satisfied and healthy me.

Fresh lemons and limes

Not only do they make my water more enjoyable but I’ve been squeezing lime on all sorts of things to give it a fun, fresh kick.  Watermelon. Avocado. Salad. Turkey burgers. And fresh lemon in tuna salad is the best.

IMG_0843

UVAB

Best thing ever for smoothies, oatmeal, and homemade cafe au lait. There’s a reason this is so popular…low calorie that doesn’t taste like low calorie!

Avocado

I put that shit on everything!  Who needs cheese when you’ve got avocado?

Triscuits + avocado + lime squeeze + salt = delicious snack!

Watermelon, grapes, berries

I save these fruity snacks for my after dinner treat.  They are perfect for keeping my hands happy when they might otherwise reach for chips, M&M’s, or some other such snacky badness.

IMG_0856

Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt

The ONLY chocolate that satisfies my sweet tooth with a small portion.  When I crave chocolate, I crave a family sized KitKat.  But somehow this particular dark chocolate does the job for me most days.

Light Laughing Cow

Is there anything it can’t do?  Substitute for cream cheese, mayo on sandwiches, sauce for chicken, dip for strawberries.  Eat it up.

Soda Water

When everyone else is drinking beer and cider I can fake myself out with a fizzy glass of soda water as long as it’s snazzed up with lemons, limes, oranges or a splash of pineapple juice.  Or if I do want to partake in the boozing then I kick it old school with white wine spritzers or a icy cold flavoured vodka and soda.

IMG_6909

Apples with cinnamon and nut butter

This one works for any meal or snack as far as I’m concerned.  Just slice, sprinkle and dip (measured of course!).  Nom.

tuna, pre-cooked chicken, boiled eggs, canned beans

Taking the time to make a bigass salad doesn’t seem so bad when the protein is already prepped.

Pickles

Next to no calories and satisfy most crunchy, salty cravings.

Obviously there are other foods that work for me too (but I thought hummus and veggies seemed pretty obvious!). 

What are your favourite go-to groceries to help make a healthier, happier you?

Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My list looks pretty similar to yours. I would add almonds, frozen berries for smoothies, apples and strong cheese (a little goes a long way).

ElleBee said...

Frozen yogurt, bacon bits (a little goes a long way flavour-wise) frozen berries, mini ciabatta buns, dark choc.

OldGoogleAccount said...

I'm not much help on the suggestions right now because my diet is *ahem* eluding me but I just made my grocery list!

I do recall a kick ass crab and shrimp dip that satisfied on the lo-cal and flavor front that I always had the ingredients for when I was on track.