Thursday, May 17, 2012

Eggvocado

Well colour me trendy but I just had to hop on the latest craze in healthy eating blogville.  Avocados in our egg salad! 

IMG_6668

Just last week I was perusing the last couple of issues of Self magazine when I came across a list of superfoods which included eggs and avocados.  Since I’m always looking for something super to include in my day to day meal planning I was happy to see these two ingredients side by side.

eggvocado

Turns out there are lots of recipes out there for this but I kept it simple and went along [mostly] with mix included in Self magazine.  I thought for sure that I would really miss my beloved mayonnaise in there but I was proven wrong.  Who knew?!!  Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich.

IMG_6665

By removing a couple of yolks and the mayo there’s lots of calorie room for the half an avocado.  The addition of Dijon (I used grainy) keeps the flavours familiar to what I’m used to in my egg salad, and the fresh cilantro really works here.  (I think basil would be nice too).  I opted to stick with green onion instead of adding jalapeño to the mix but might try the pepper next time.  You know, living on the wild side!

IMG_6662

I like to stretch my lunch out like a 20 minute snackfest so instead of a sandwich I piled the eggvocado salad high on pita crackers with tomato wedges.  A little extra sprinkle of salt brought it all home.

Later I may have cleaned the bowl with my finger.  Another delicious perk of working from home where no one can see me.

IMG_6671

Two mucky thumbs up.

Pin It

5 comments:

ElleBee said...

Mmmm, I know what I'm making this weekend!

Chef Heidi Fink said...

sounds deeelicious!

OldGoogleAccount said...

I would be all over licking that bowl. This is a great idea. Eggs and avocados are literally two of my favourite foods.

Anonymous said...

how interesting! i bet that is delicious! I'll have to try!! thanks for the recipe!

Sydney Hoffman said...

I am sooo making this tonight :)
Thanks for the great meal/snack idea!!

-Sydney xo