Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Last Hurrah

Just like most everyone else I am quite happy to abandon the treat parade that rolled through my life for the last couple of weeks and get back to a cookie-free lifestyle.  I actually started making salads last week and have been enjoying every bite of every crunchy piece of lettuce, carrot and radish.  But…

Yep, but.

…I promised Michael a lemony treat over the holidays and I never got it done.  And since I hate broken promises I had to follow through, even if the holiday baking season is actually over.

IMG_5354

I rationalized that this past Monday was still part of the holidays since we had the day off work in lieu of New Years Day…that totally counts!

The Citrus Curd Tarts I threw together turned out to be just the right thing!  Michael’s been asking me to use up a pack of frozen tart shells some family member left in his freezer months ago, and I’ve been looking for an excuse to make Guilty Kitchen’s Citrus Curd ever since I first read the recipe. 

IMG_5329IMG_5344

Added bonus:  Michael is actually friends with Elizabeth and her husband.  Small world.  :)

I had hoped to make the curd using Meyer lemons, but of course the day I went shopping for them I couldn’t get my hands on any.  So I went with the original recipe of lemons and limes and it was a huge hit.  Creamy, tart, tangy and oh so deeeeelish.

IMG_5348IMG_5351

Baker’s note:  Do NOT bake the curd.  Bake the shells, then fill with the pre-made curd.  Top with whipping cream if desired, then chow down.

Turns out making curd isn’t all that hard.  Who knew?  It’s just finding a use for all those leftover egg whites that’s making my head hurt.  But if that’s the worst of it then I think we’ll be tackling this recipe again…and maybe again.  The variations are pretty much endless.

IMG_5359

Oh, and what’s that?  Ah yes.  An excellent way to use up that leftover Christmas cranberry sauce.  Do it!  Then get back to that bigass salad.

Pin It

2 comments:

Dagne said...

Mmm those look delish!

TobyLauren said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing the awesomeness. And the egg whites can be omelette material for a while.... I like to scramble egg whites and eat with lot of salsa in a smal, flame-blackened flour tortilla, with a T I'd cheese and a couple of chopped green onions. Nom!