Monday, July 04, 2011

Lazy Long Weekend

IMG_0148

My friend Michael recently acquired his brother’s Harley.  It’s super shiny, covered in badass little skulls, and makes way more noise than any single vehicle should.  Plus, their passenger helmet makes me look WAY dorky.

IMG_0145

I have no idea how he convinced me to go for a Saturday ride, but he did.  Probably because I thought I was going to look all cool and sexy in motorcycle gear (not!).  According to my Mom I haven’t been on a motorcycle since I was like 5 years old. 

IMG_0146

We decided to make the ride out to Sooke but he gave me the option of stopping part way there to pick up his truck if I really wasn’t enjoying myself.  Turns out it was way comfier and far less scary than I thought.  :)  It was a great ride!  (Minus the watery eyes and runny nose!!  Glad I was smart enough to forego eye make-up!)

IMG_0147

I didn’t freak out or die…so I say that’s a win!

I had mostly agreed to go all the way to Sooke because he promised we could go to The EdGe for lunch.  I was so excited to introduce him to the deeeelish pulled pork.  Sadly we missed out because they close between lunch and dinner service.  Boooo!

So we decided to just wander across the street to the Stone Pipe Grill.  Lunch was pretty good but it was definitely no EdGe.

IMG_0138

Cup of seafood chowder and a Clubhouse with garden salad.

IMG_0139

Pretty tasty…I liked that the club didn’t have a third piece of bread (so is it really a club??) but didn’t like the fake-tasting cheddar.  The salad was good but their house dressing is weird…Ginger Chipotle something…the flavours didn’t go together.  Michael’s curried pasta was a little odd too.  Not bad, but not what either of us was expecting.

After lunch we popped by to visit some of his friends, then on the ride back into the city was stopped to buy some shellfish and a couple of baked treats from a local farm stand.

Michael and his brother David cooked us up a feast of shrimp, scallops, corn on the cob, asparagus and chicken kabobs.

IMG_0151

The seafood was started in the oven in a foil packet with butter, garlic and seasonings…then spent a few minutes in a hot sauté pan with some white wine added to the reducing liquid.  Holy yum!!

IMG_0153

We dipped bread (and damn near everything else on our plates) in the leftover garlic buttery goodness.

I brought the beers.  My new favourite Summer beer…Phillips Raspberry Wheat. We also tried the Phillips Ginger Beer…which somehow escaped my camera.

IMG_0154

Also escaping my camera was the homemade carrot cake we picked up from the farm stand lady.  Clearly if there is no photo evidence then it was calorie free.  Riiiight?!  :) 

After dinner I pretty much had to prop my eyes open with toothpicks.  The late Friday night, mild hangover, and extra pile of fresh air did me in.

Zzzzzzz.  Not that I’m complaining!

Pin It

2 comments:

kb said...

I *love* the Phillips Raspberry Wheat! One of my favourites so far this year.

Also, brave girl for motorcycling... I've never tried that (but if I ever do, I'd want a ginormous backrest so I didn't feel like I was going to zip off the back :) ).

Amy said...

Is Michael really just a "friend"?? :)