Monday, May 30, 2011

Patio Garden

When I moved into my new little pad last July it was a weeee bit too late to be starting up any planters or gardening.  I was a little sad.

IMG_1721

Instead I got a couple of comfy chairs and the deck became home to my poor neglected bicycle.  (Shhh…don’t tell my Strata!)

This year I’ve been watching the calendar and weather in anticipation of a weekend when it would be all good to plant a few little things.  This weekend was finally it!

IMG_0299

Yesterday was this perfectly sunny day with a lovely breeze up on my deck.  Just right for a little bit of planter box action.

Not a lot of room for a whole lot, but just enough room for me!  I opted for planter boxes as I don’t want anything hanging and blocking what little view I have.  Boxes will be at a good level for ease of care and good sunlight as well.  (Sadly I’ll need to enlist one of my handy dandy friends to help come up with a way to hang some of these from my railings…apparently my railings are an odd width which caused me trouble finding brackets that fit…lame-o.)

IMG_0302

Shelves and the patio floor will do just fine for now!

Here we have Ever Bearing Strawberries x 3 and Peppermint.

IMG_0301IMG_0303

Some curly parsley, a cute hot pepper, and cilantro.

IMG_0304IMG_0316IMG_0317

Oregano, rosemary, and sweet purple basil.  Still on the hunt for regular basil…which apparently had been delayed a bit this year.

IMG_0305IMG_0309

Of course a bit of colour is needed too!  Multiple shades of pink and white impatience do the trick quite nicely.

IMG_0307IMG_0308

And last but not least, I’m pretty excited about my bigass tomato plant!

IMG_0319

“Sugar Snack” sound quite tasty, no?  I’ll be babying this one for sure.

IMG_0288

It’s only been one day and I’ve already been outside checking on my little babies, making sure they are getting enough light, some food and water, and maybe a little chit-chat.

What?  You know you talk to your plants too.  ;)

Pin It

5 comments:

H-woman said...

My old patio had bizarre shaped railings that didn't work with any planters I could find. New patio conforms!

=)

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Thanks for providing some inspiration for me and my small deck.

rusty61 said...

That looks like a wonderful oasis!

ElleBee said...

Love it Jaime! You got a lot of plants on your patio, enjoy! :)

Jessica said...

I got my basil from the Market on Yates over a month ago. Kept it inside until the end of May and now it's sitting happily out on the patio. Maybe they still have some!