Monday, January 17, 2011

Tom and Joe

Well I guess it’s about time to plan another Seattle trip.  My favourite Trader Joe’s find has been devoured.  Dead flaxerific almond butter soldier. :( Sad.

IMG_5041

Let me just say this too… the jar!!  This short, wide mouthed jar is BRILLIANT for nut butter!  Why aren’t all nut butters packaged like this?  So much less messy that the usual taller, skinnier jar.

Also particularly helpful for loading up with OIAJ

IMG_5046

Made a simple pot of creamy banana oatmeal with flax meal and UVAB and served it up with the last scrapings of deliciousness.  Yum.

IMG_5049

A little later I grabbed some more TJ’s love in the form of a flattened banana.  I like them with my coffee.  It’s a weird combo.

IMG_5062

Lunch came in the form of mini soft tacos.  Used up the last of the mexi-turkey with lettuce, tomato, yellow pepper, salsa and light sour cream on small tortillas.

IMG_5065

x 2

IMG_5067

I admit that I ended up skipping the gym today (bad girl!).  I really felt run down and needed to relax.  I ate a pear and then went grocery shopping.

IMG_5063

After a Twitter & Facebook friend poll about what I should make for dinner… Tom Yum Soup or Moroccan Stew… I needed a few ingredients.

Tom Yum Soup won hands down.  It seems a lot of folks have been eyeing up this recipe in Chatelaine this month.  For some reason, the online recipe is missing some ingredients so I will offer the full thing here for your enjoyment…

IMG_5081 Blogland’s favourite hot sauce finally made it into my kitchen. Sriracha!

IMG_5068

This recipe was another Chatelaine winner!  Easy, delicious, light, filling, and comforting.

IMG_5073

Classic Tom Yum Soup with Chicken & Shrimp

(adapted from Chatelaine)

Ingredients:

  • 900 ml chicken broth
  • 400 ml regular coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce  (Sriracha is just chili sauce but I wanted it…)
  • 2-3 kaffir-lime leaves (or 1/2 tsp lime zest)
  • 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized strips
  • 227 gram package of sliced mushrooms (or 90 gram package of enoki mushrooms if available)  (I used cremini…)
  • 1 chopped tomato
  • 250 grams medium shrimp, peeled
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

IMG_5072

Directions:

  1. Pour broth and coconut milk into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar and chili sauce.  Add lime leaves (or zest). Cover and bring to light boil.
  2. Add chicken, shrimp, tomato, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through (5-6 minutes).  (If using the enoki mushrooms, hold off and add them at the end with the lime juice.)
  3. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice, fish sauce and cilantro. Stir well and serve immediately. 

IMG_5076

Apparently this soup keeps well up to one day if covered and refrigerated (um, obviously we would be refrigerating the leftovers!). 

I was so pleasantly surprised by this soup.  It warmed me right to my toes and brought heat to my face.  Just enough zing for flavour and a few sniffles… :)  I went back and refilled my bowl as soon as my first serving ran out. 

I’ll be the judge of how leftovers turn out tomorrow.  Maybe they say “one day” because they know it won’t last any longer than that!

Pin It

3 comments:

Carol said...

Leftovers?? There's supposed to be leftovers?! I've made this TWICE since receiving the magazine, and I love it. Once, all shrimp (because I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer) and again with both meats. I've added other veggies too - celery, peppers of various shades, and I used dried Shitake mushrooms...meaty and delicious. I also liked the ravioli recipe, but agree with you that it has to be wetter next time. Looking forward to trying another recipe from this month.

Laura said...

i love recipes from magazines, they are perfect

OldGoogleAccount said...

Haha! Do people actually call that sauce Sriracha sauce? We call it, ummm, you know, the-other-name-for-a rooster-that-starts-with-a-c-and-ends-with-a-k sauce. :)