Monday, October 25, 2010

Keen Wa

Oh Monday, why must you arrive so soon?  After my little partay and an overnight visit with my Mom I would have been quite happen for the weekend to stick around.

I found myself missing my Blogger Girls a fair bit recently so I broke out my memory mug for this morning’s much needed coffeeeee…

IMG_1624

This morning’s breakfast smoothie got a little creative.  I had a fun recipe I was going to make for the party on Friday so I bought this bigass tub of fresh dates, but we were on food overload (and I totally ran out of time…shhhhh!) so now I’m looking for other uses for all of these yummy dates.

IMG_1625

I ended up with a Banana Date Coconut Smoothie.  Nom!

In the KA: ice, small banana, 2 fresh dates, flax meal, unsweetened coconut, final drizzle of coconut milk topped up with UVAB.

IMG_1641

Sprinkled with a little extra shredded coconut garnish…

IMG_1636

It was quite deeeelish!  Much sweeter than my usual green smoothies but still yummy and healthy.  The dates are so fresh that they didn’t blend right into the drink so I had a few chunky surprises at the bottom.

At lunchtime I could seriously hear the crack hummus calling me from the fridge. It said “come make a sammich”! so I did. :)

IMG_1647

Toasted Squirrelly bread, hummus, extra old white cheddar, cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce.  Nom.

Afternoon sweet tooth was satisfied with a leftover Coconut Crack Bar from the party…

IMG_1651

Salad was on the menu for dinner, but…

1) An entire bag of spinach went off.  I hate that.

2) It’s literally the most blustery, cold, disgusting day of the year and salad just wasn’t going to cut it.

Enter:  Roasted Veggies!

IMG_1654IMG_1655

How to clean out the fridge….roast your root veggies.  Carrots, rutabaga, beet, red onion, and orange peppers.  Drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with coarse salt and cracked pepper.  Roasted in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, tossing once.

My plan for a poached egg as my protein wasn’t going to work with this change in menu so I opted for a serving of quinoa (keen wah!) instead.  Cooked up and added the juice of half a lemon and about an ounce of crumbled feta cheese.  Lemon & Feta Quinoa.  If only I had fresh herbs.

IMG_1659

Served up quinoa on the bottom, veggies on the top with a little extra feta.

IMG_1666IMG_1668IMG_1669

I love it when a random meal comes together!

Apparently I hear food talking to me a lot today because these beautiful chocolates wouldn’t shut up until I opened them.

IMG_1678

Julian:  I’ll blame you if I don’t fit into my Hallowe’en costume!  :)

Pumpkin Spice Truffle!

IMG_1680

Ganache Truffle topped with raw Cacao nibs…

IMG_1683

Sugar buzz complete.  Time to lay on the floor for the third time today and perform a few “sloppy cobras”.  It’s weird but I think it’s working.  My pain has dropped from a 12 to a 9 on the pain scale (on a scale of 1 to 10).  Maybe he’ll tell me I’m allowed to workout tomorrow.

Then I can the rest of the box of chocolates.

Pin It

3 comments:

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

Glad your pain level has dropped a bit.

Thanks for the directions about how to roast the veggies. I could do that one in Russia...well except for the rutabaga. (In a land where root vegetables are very popular, you'd think rutabagas or turnips would be available...nope!)

Looks like you've settled into life very nicely in BC-that's great! :)

Unknown said...

Freeze your spinach!! I'm telling ya, works like a charm. Especially for green smoothies or if you are going to cook it of course not so good for eating fresh though!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you started the day with almond butter and banana and had McChicken's and fries for lunch! that is so my life! Most of the time I feel badly when I succumb to the fast food weakness, but I like your attitude! It's so worth it. Thanks for the great blog! p.s. That truffle looked delicious too!